• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

F-117 Nighthawk - Stealth Fighter

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Saw this article about an F-117 Nighthawk being retired to the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library and realized we have not yet started a dedicated thread for this aircraft.

So.... here we go ! ! !

We'll start with these photos and their source article:

AQP5KJJL5JH3RIWF46UMYSQFCY.jpg . 7PD7KLLBWZFWZCRAV44ELDAN6Y.jpg

https://www.airforcetimes.com/veter...AIR&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social

[h=1]Restored F-117 Nighthawk coming to Reagan Library[/h]

And here's a WIKI Link about this wonderful bird:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_F-117_Nighthawk

And a look inside her structure:
05088e6c7c642971a14725bc2ba2d5f8.jpg

Feel free to add to this thread.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those were cool planes. Glad I got to see, and hear (strange sounding plane) them flying, including an airshow demonstration.

I remember back in the day, in the serious aviation journals there was much discussion of the possibility that the US was developing a "radar invisible" aircraft, and much speculation that the crash near Bakersfield might have been the prototype.
When the Air Force finally revealed the aircraft's existence and confirmed the rumours, it also revealed that the aircraft was NOT a prototype, but had been in active service for many years already. We had actually kept a secret!!

Cheers

Guyfang

Staff member
There is solid rumor that a few of them are still in use at Groom Lake. Read something about them being spotted, in Air and Space a month or three ago.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is solid rumor that a few of them are still in use at Groom Lake. Read something about them being spotted, in Air and Space a month or three ago.
Guy I heard the same rumor that there were a half dozen F-117s being used for test purposes at Groom Lake. Testing what?

Guyfang

Staff member
All the at I can remember from Air and Space was that it was being used for "Testing". It was a short article, as other then people taking a picture of it, they really knew nothing else concrete about the whole deal. And as we all know, Groom Lake is a place that we normal mortal people never really know everything about.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Considering the wing loading in flight I am awed every time one flies. The shape and design, thickness of the wing makes me think that there is no way to get airborne.

I would guess that the airframe will be another that will be around for some time. Especially for the mission it was designed for.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks