• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for part # for starter solenoid on 97 model 3116

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If anyone happens to have it handy ? I asked the cat dealer today off of my engine serial number but he said CAT didnt ship this engine with a starter to stewart stevenson and i asume theyre not still open

snowtrac nome

Thestarter is a leaceniville starter. I have a spare solenoid. why do you want a new solenoid I ask this because I bought one that I didn't need. If the starter is kicking out its likely a bent starter drive fork the leacenivill and prestolite starters had a stamped fork that were prone to bending and not fully engauging the flywheel

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
iM pretty sure my starter in fine i tested the starter relay solenoid on the frame beside the starter and it was good i have to use a push button jumper on the starter solenoid it self to start the truck.

Ronmar

Well if the starter works, its solenoid is OK. If you can crank it with a button directly to the starter solenoid, but the aux solenoid/relay on the frame rail wont crank the starter, then the problem IS the aux solenoid on the frame or the connection between the two...

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well if the starter works, its solenoid is OK. If you can crank it with a button directly to the starter solenoid, but the aux solenoid/relay on the frame rail wont crank the starter, then the problem IS the aux solenoid on the frame or the connection between the two...
I ran a long wire from the relay solenoid up in the cab from the big post the one to the front of the truck put a meter on that wire turned the ignition key and it started reading 28 volts let off the key it goes back to o so i figured that ment it was doing its job so fig must be a burnt spot on starter solenoid???

Ronmar

What snowtrack said. Sounds like a bad wire/connection from aux relay to starter solenoid. Repeat that test with the wire up to your meter connected to where that wire from the aux starter relay connects at the starter solenoid.

Don't forget when checking components, that a high resistance electrical connection will show full voltage on a meter without load applied. Try to pull current thru that high resistance connection, the voltage will decrease(sometimes drastically) on the load side of the bad connection. You need to test components in circuit/under load.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok
What snowtrack said. Sounds like a bad wire/connection from aux relay to starter solenoid. Repeat that test with the wire up to your meter connected to where that wire from the aux starter relay connects at the starter solenoid.

Don't forget when checking components, that a high resistance electrical connection will show full voltage on a meter without load applied. Try to pull current thru that high resistance connection, the voltage will decrease(sometimes drastically) on the load side of the bad connection. You need to test components in circuit/under load.
Ok i will try that! Where can i find the schematic of the starter/relay solenoid and wiring at the starter? I have a small black wire with thin 1/2 in eyelet just laying up against the starter with i think a 58 stamped in the metal band its been that way since i bought the truck from GP

coachgeo

Ok
Ok i will try that! Where can i find the schematic of the starter/relay solenoid and wiring at the starter? I have a small black wire with thin 1/2 in eyelet just laying up against the starter with i think a 58 stamped in the metal band its been that way since i bought the truck from GP
Have you got the TM's yet? There are a PITA to use... but it's all in there. (See TM forum if you have not got them {Technical Manuals}) Often time I'll just search google rather generally without even specifying to search for a TM... and the correct section of a TM will show up in the results. Did just that ... searched m1078 lmtv wiring diagram / Picked the closest looking image that took me to online TM.... then scrolled thru the 34 pages of schematics and found what might be it

http://trucks25tonm1078v1-5.tpub.com/TM-9-2320-365-20-5/css/TM-9-2320-365-20-5_511.htm

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you got the TM's yet? There are a PITA to use... but it's all in there. (See TM forum if you have not got them {Technical Manuals}) Often time I'll just search google rather generally without even specifying to search for a TM... and the correct section of a TM will show up in the results. Did just that ... searched m1078 lmtv wiring diagram / Picked the closest looking image that took me to online TM.... then scrolled thru the 34 pages of schematics and found what might be it

http://trucks25tonm1078v1-5.tpub.com/TM-9-2320-365-20-5/css/TM-9-2320-365-20-5_511.htm
Thanks im in tm -9-2320-366-34-1 still looking for the starter page i think im getting close in section 6

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Near the back of the 20-1 thru 20-5 manuals you will find the electrical schematics.

here is a screenshot of the aux starter relay. Basically power comes from the starter, thru the aux relay contacts and back to the starter solenoid to activate it...
Ive been in tms all morning i probably passed right by this looking for a drawing showing all the wires and there numbers coming to the relay sol and the starter sol .Thanks for the the post im going blind looking thru all these tms lol

Ronmar

I separated out the A0 electrical schematics into a small easily manipulated .PDF file, I should probably see about uploading it here...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks