• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winter storage tips?

HDN

I get nervous about the underbody sprayers. Sure, fording is one thing, but pressurized jets applied to the underside? I'm nervous about that with my daily driver. Factor in freezing temperatures and you'd probably just freeze everything up. Yes?

fpchief

Thats what I was thinking, but it would be outside and made of 6 in steel pipe casing, because I don't have a "inside". In fact, I don't have a slab either, so when it rains, I use a 1 inch thick sheet of plywood treated with used diesel engine oil (really) and when it snows, I use cardboard. Its a good thing it doesn't get below -10F often.[/QUOTE

-10??? Don't think so...

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
"I think you're missing out, not driving the truck in the snowy winter.
Just hose off the chassis after driving it."

You and your tactical military vehicle are not going to last forever.
Amen; If you really want to prevent rust, mix diesel and chainsaw bar oil in a pump up sprayer and mist the entire underside of the truck. The phosphoric acid in the oil with actively attack any existing rust/prevent new, and help salt and mud fall right off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I get nervous about the underbody sprayers. Sure, fording is one thing, but pressurized jets applied to the underside? I'm nervous about that with my daily driver. Factor in freezing temperatures and you'd probably just freeze everything up. Yes?
Sounds like you just need to build a giant, heated/indoor drive-thru, sonic cleaner.
Problem solved!

davidb56

No...not any different than driving through snow slush. the spray is warm too. Ive been using it for years and is real popular up here because of salt.

davidb56

DSCF0133.jpg@ fpchief....Im originally from Stockton Ca. 100F+ temps often during the summer. It only takes a couple of winters to acclimate. Plus, with all those new fangled expensive gortex+ clothing out there, remember, its all junk. Wool is still King of the cold. Also cold winters acts like our own "border wall"!

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Amen; If you really want to prevent rust, mix diesel and chainsaw bar oil in a pump up sprayer and mist the entire underside of the truck. The phosphoric acid in the oil with actively attack any existing rust/prevent new, and help salt and mud fall right off
First I ever heard of this formula:

- Where did you come across this "recipe", Elijah95?

And any magic ratio to the mix?

Another Ahab

Thats what I was thinking, but it would be outside and made of 6 in steel pipe casing, because I don't have a "inside". In fact, I don't have a slab either, so when it rains, I use a 1 inch thick sheet of plywood treated with used diesel engine oil (really) and when it snows, I use cardboard. Its a good thing it doesn't get below -10F often.
Where do you pick up something like that, davidb56?

Better question:

- HOW do you pick up something like that, 4'x8' sheet?!!!!

davidb56

1 inch plywood is common here, but not in the big box stores, and it only weighs 60-80lbs. The trick is to brush on the used motor oil and get the edges a couple of coats, so the rain and snow cant penetrate it and make it real heavy.IMG_0051.jpg

HDN

I know car washes are able to reclaim water, but I'd hope it gets filtered or desalinated. Otherwise what's the point?

I'd be hesitant getting a car washed in the winter anyway. It's a good way to freeze your doors shut, nevermind anything underneath that it might freeze up. I think about how the Germans had to take a torch to their interleaved road wheels on their tracked equipment because they'd be frozen together! Same with some construction equipment I've seen.

davidb56

I know car washes are able to reclaim water, but I'd hope it gets filtered or desalinated. Otherwise what's the point?

I'd be hesitant getting a car washed in the winter anyway. It's a good way to freeze your doors shut, nevermind anything underneath that it might freeze up. I think about how the Germans had to take a torch to their interleaved road wheels on their tracked equipment because they'd be frozen together! Same with some construction equipment I've seen.
I guess you have to experience Northern Idaho to see what actually works. 8 years ago when I first moved up here, my doors froze. Then someone told me to use spray silicon on the door gaskets, now they always open. There is a line every winter at the Bonners Ferry car wash that sprays the underside down. If it didn't work, eventually people would wise up. Im under my vehicle doing maintenance all seasons, and I know it helps. So...I'll do what I know best for me, and others can do whatever they want. Im not going to let winter "hibernate" the best vehicle made to do the job....M35A2C. period. But thanks for the concern...

HDN

I've learned a lot in this thread, that's for sure. I'm curious about the motor oil/diesel underside coating. Does that last for just one season? I can't imagine that being particularly healthy for the paint underneath, but I could be wrong.

mann650

Davidb56 - How are you tying down the blocks? I'm considering two IBC totes full of water for some weight so I can load and unload them myself. The cargo tie downs don't look like they could take the load but I may be wrong.

Another Ahab

First I ever heard of this formula:

- Where did you come across this "recipe", Elijah95?

And any magic ratio to the mix?
I've learned a lot in this thread, that's for sure. I'm curious about the motor oil/diesel underside coating. Does that last for just one season? I can't imagine that being particularly healthy for the paint underneath, but I could be wrong.
You got us interested plenty, Elijah95!

You got any more about all this?

A1.jpeg

HDN

I was mistaken. It's chainsaw bar oil, not motor oil. But still mixed with diesel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks