• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got a FMTV WtechIII trans (working) and need WtechII or the updated harness

coachgeo

Anyone want to Swap a working WtechII tranny for a working WtechIII tranny.....

.....orr....

anyone happen to to have the harness they used to put Wtech III transmissions in the A0's

According TKsales a few of the Wtech III's might work on Wtech II but only a few.... he is going to search my serial number

am open to ideas

Last edited:

wandering neurons

IMHO, the main difference between the WTEC II and WTEC III is the controller and keypad, not anything internal to the transmission itself. That being said, wiring is different, but not functionality.
Other than having a newer transmission and control system, you aren't gaining anything specific. Lots of work for no particular benefit. Neither have the advanced diagnostics port of the much later Allison WTEC systems.
Just my $0.02...

Swap a working WtechII tranny for a working WtechIII tranny.....
orr.... anyone happen to to have the harness they used to put Wtech III transmissions in the A0's

According TKsales a few of the Wtech III's might work on Wtech II but only a few.... he is going to search my serial number

am open to ideas

coachgeo

I think you guys are confused, most likely my fault for not giving enough info........

have:
. A0 M1979 with a bad WtechII tranny but good computer and pad (I think) in the truck...
. good WtechIII tranny (came with the 1079 for replacement of bad tranny... (sellers mistakenly bought a mix match?)
. good Wtech II in my 1078... but don't want to swap yet if can avoid it.... (to keep that one running cause I do use it as a work truck) Once 1079 runs good.. then dismantle 1078, keep some parts as spares... sell the rest. (1079 box w/solar for sale too)
.... since 1078's WtechII will in the end become a spare "good" tranny when all is said and done..... want to be able to go back to all WtechII in incase ever need to install that in the 1079.

besides have you priced WTech III keypads and computers...... much less tried to mate them to a NON computer engine.... that sounds like way more work and expense; especially if ever needed to go use wtechII spare as mentioned above.

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The wtec3 trans solenoid pack has some differences. First gen cab to trans harness is the same. Sometimes its just a harness in the trans to use with different gen control. I have a wtec2 trans here. You may be able to use the solenoid pack from the bad trans on the good trans.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Extremely confusing. If you're selling the 1079 box why not just take what's good off the 1079 for your 1078 and sell the 79? Or better yet, sell both and buy 1 good truck.

coachgeo

Extremely confusing. If you're selling the 1079 box why not just take what's good off the 1079 for your 1078 and sell the 79? Or better yet, sell both and buy 1 good truck.
1079 is far less rusty than ol' rusty 1078 and sports a 290hp engine from FMTV truck Sales (a take out).

Far less labor involved in getting 1079 set up nicely.

selling box to recover some money..... have an IMHO better camper box to replace it with off an ambulance. so end up with Ol' rusty to sell good parts off of (of which many I had already replaced with non rusty parts) and keep good spare engine and tranny from it to boot. Part of ol' Rusty's chassis will be welded onto 1079 since Ambor box is 14.5 foot long

Last edited:

Smike740

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Coachgeo, I have been following your M1078 build with interest.

Sorry I can't help with the Transmission question.

I am interested in the M1079 box when you are ready to sell and fortunately I am somewhat local.

Send me a PM with details.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks