• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep8002a IP fuel rate adjustment

builmord

In reading the TM's and threads it seems it would be prudent to check and adjust the IP's fuel rates to mitigate my units excessive vibration. Seems like an easy procedure, take temperature reading of all cylinders at exhaust manfold location, loosen the pump's retaining clamp, the nut to the injector line and with a wrench slowly rotate the pump till you meet the cylinder temp of the the others. Correct me if I am wrong but cool cylinder means not enough fuel ? which direction , left or right do you rotate to increase fuel rate ?. I have done all the filters and fluids, run at 100% load for 3 hours, seafoam in the fuel,checked the engine mounts. Am I on the right tract in doing this procedure next ?

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ask Guyfang he is a knowledgeable fellow.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

builmord

thanks, took temp readings on the exhaust manifolds. only 1 or 2 degrees different. I guess everything is in order. Will start to look elsewhere to find whats causing the vibrations

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How bad is it? What are you comparing it to?

The 802 is known for being a bit lumpy. Not much you can do about that with a synchronized twin.

Bmxenbrett

The chain on the oil cap is clanging and banging around? The tie down D rings doing the same? Thats all normal.

Guyfang

Staff member
If it doesn't walk across the floor, it aint bad. I seem to remember that turning the IP to the right to increase the flow. But like mentioned before, fool with it to much, and it WILL jump off the rack. If you have never removed, or installed this type IP before, you will sure get enough practice in before you are done, should it jump out of the rack. The 802 is a shaker. Other things that might make is vibrate are bad/cracked vibration isolaters. If they are loose, or missing the RIGHT hardware, it can shake. And, yes, the good old main gen. If its off even a tad, when the gen and engine were joined, it can shake. OR, if the 802 has 803 isolaters in it.

Chainbreaker

If it is considered a "360 degree crank angle straight twin" engine its gonna be a bit of a shaker. I once had a 650cc Yamaha motorcycle that had a straight twin 4 stroke engine with 360 degree crank and if left running with the kickstand down it would slowly walk in a circle across my driveway. It was commonly referred to as the "Thumper" due to its inherent vibrations.

This Wiki pertains to 2 cylinder 4 stroke gas motorcycle engines but regardless of gas or diesel this helps explain why the 2 cylinder engines inherently shake. (Skip down to the CRANKSHAFT ANGLE section and note the animation diagram depecting piston firing order and descriptions of the dynamic imbalances generated in the associated text.

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
They do shake a lot! It sucks when your OCD wants there to be no rattles & you have it on a trailer, haha.

Slightly off topic, but with the vibrations, make sure no wires have found their way to rub on edges of metal. I caught one on mine before it rubbed through the insulation.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks