• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

KDS CR-2699 Smart Start Box problem?

gymgui

Can someone help me diagnose my glowplug light issue.... Ive got a KDS green label CR-2699 smart start on my HMMWV. Truck has been starting fine up until recently... Within the past 2 months, randomly the glow plug light will illuminate for a split second and go out. I turn the key and the engine turns over and starts, but almost seems like the batteries are low. The needle in the voltage gauge is in the yellow, after about 5 minutes with the engine running, the voltage gauge needle goes in the green, but If I turn on the fan blower switch for the A/C or the heater fan, they will not turn on. But eventually the blower will come on. If I turn the truck off and restart it an hour or so later, the glowplug light illuminates for 5 seconds, and the truck starts right up w no hesitation and the a/c will come right on.

Now, 90 percent of the time the glowplug light illuminates and stays on like its suppose to, the truck starts up strong and everything is great.

Ive installed a brand new grounding harness, pulled the glowplugs out and none are swollen, and I checked the battery voltages and they are fine. Im here scratching my head. I guess the smart switch is going bad??

Do I replace the CR-2699 like for like or is there another model number compatible?

DocBreckon

Has still not updated his location.
I’d bet it is the Glow Plug controller on the Coolant Passover on the intake manifold by the Injection pump. Search for the correct part # GPC and swap it. $60 ish. That’s where I would start looking if it was my rig.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can someone help me diagnose my glowplug light issue.... Ive got a KDS green label CR-2699 smart start on my HMMWV. Truck has been starting fine up until recently... Within the past 2 months, randomly the glow plug light will illuminate for a split second and go out. I turn the key and the engine turns over and starts, but almost seems like the batteries are low. The needle in the voltage gauge is in the yellow, after about 5 minutes with the engine running, the voltage gauge needle goes in the green, but If I turn on the fan blower switch for the A/C or the heater fan, they will not turn on. But eventually the blower will come on. If I turn the truck off and restart it an hour or so later, the glowplug light illuminates for 5 seconds, and the truck starts right up w no hesitation and the a/c will come right on.

Now, 90 percent of the time the glowplug light illuminates and stays on like its suppose to, the truck starts up strong and everything is great.

Ive installed a brand new grounding harness, pulled the glowplugs out and none are swollen, and I checked the battery voltages and they are fine. Im here scratching my head. I guess the smart switch is going bad??

Do I replace the CR-2699 like for like or is there another model number compatible?
KDS green label is not a “Smart start” box, it’s known as a single component EESS, they were short lived and suck IMO.
they do NOT use a TSU in the water crossover, hence the “Single component“ name.
The only box in production is the KDS or Nartron S3 EESS smart start system with TSU, this is all we stock and have used successfully for years, hundreds of trucks with very little if any issues, always replace in conjunction with 8 new GP’s.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
PM (private message) me. I can tell you how to rebuild your box or I can sell you a rebuilt box that eliminates all the failure points with pushbutton activation for about half the price of others on the market.

DREAD KT

PM (private message) me. I can tell you how to rebuild your box or I can sell you a rebuilt box that eliminates all the failure points with pushbutton activation for about half the price of others on the market.
Hi TOBASH,

I just acquired an M1097A1 and it is having similar issues as mentioned above. I also have the KDS green label CR-2699 smart start on my HMMWV and I do not get the glow plug light and the battery voltage shows low. I have a new alternator (because the last one burned out) and also new batteries, so I know that is not the issue. It looks like the replacement boxes are hard to find. Would like to try to get mine repaired or do it myself. Is you offer open to all? Can you help? Thanks DREAD KT.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi TOBASH,

I just acquired an M1097A1 and it is having similar issues as mentioned above. I also have the KDS green label CR-2699 smart start on my HMMWV and I do not get the glow plug light and the battery voltage shows low. I have a new alternator (because the last one burned out) and also new batteries, so I know that is not the issue. It looks like the replacement boxes are hard to find. Would like to try to get mine repaired or do it myself. Is you offer open to all? Can you help? Thanks DREAD KT.
That green lable box is one of the worst ones out there....and it does not use the GPC in the crossover.
It also is Not a smart box.
Nartron and KDS white label green colored box with 3rd connector is a smart start box,,,,you can find them, but if you do, you need a TSU instaed of a GPC
In the cross over.
There are some manual control boxes out there also....mine is a camotek and works great.

Last edited:

DREAD KT

That green lable box is one of the worst ones out there....and it does not use the GPC in the crossover.
It also is Not a smart box.
Nartron and KDS white label green colored box with 3rd connector is a smart start box,,,,you can find them, but if you do, you need a TSU instaed of a GPC
In the cross over.
There are some manual control boxes out there also....mine is a camotek and works great.
Thanks. I was just looking at the Camotek one right now. You think this would this be a direct replacement? Much obliged!

93hmmwv

I just installed a camotek keyed one last week and love it.
I’ve got similar problems with my 93’ M998. I thought the KDS box (S3) was bad, replaced with new KDS S3 and new TSU; then battery had a bad cell—replaced with 2 new Odyssey batteries; replaced battery cables in box and to the starter as insulation was worn; installed a Fed Military battery kill switch on Neg cable to the shunt…
Worked great for 2 days then today No More glow plug light.
wondering if the Camotek box might correct some of these issues.
thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

KJ Keleher

Hello TOBASH, I stumbled across a post by you where you stated you could give info to fix or rewire a kds cr-2695 eess box.
Mine the wait light will illuminate for a split second but never send power to glow plugs. I opened it up and found a 1.5 amp diode that was broken. There was nothing inside burnt or looking out of ordinary other than that. I ordered diode and soldered it in hoping it would fix it. It did not. Acts the exact same. I would like to fix it or rewire for manusl GP operation. Can you help me out please with information?
Thanks

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello TOBASH, I stumbled across a post by you where you stated you could give info to fix or rewire a kds cr-2695 eess box.
Mine the wait light will illuminate for a split second but never send power to glow plugs. I opened it up and found a 1.5 amp diode that was broken. There was nothing inside burnt or looking out of ordinary other than that. I ordered diode and soldered it in hoping it would fix it. It did not. Acts the exact same. I would like to fix it or rewire for manusl GP operation. Can you help me out please with information?
Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks