• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone have a recommendation for towing a m1082 with an F150?

Reworked LMTV

Not sure if it is possible, but anyone have a hitch recommendation (brand) for picking up a M1082 with an f150?

coachgeo

ifff there is enough weight and brakes for this..... you generally need.... tallest/strongest/biggest lunet diameter, receiver hitch you can put together. Reality.. by the time you buy all that.... this could cover cost of your fuel to drive one of your FMTV's to get the trailer...... so fuel up and go get the trailer you bought. (assuming that is your situation)

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
It can pull it. Stopping is fun cause of the push angle. However the 1000 to 1500lb more gross weight will push it around at speed too. weight in the F150 bed would be optimal. Requires a 34in pintle height as well.

It is illegal to tow any trailer over 3000lbs in Tennessee without trailer brakes. Since the F150 will have no way to apply the brakes on the trailer.

Reworked LMTV

Sounds like if I get it, best have it shipped from NC or TX. My m1088 needs more work before road trusty.

FloridaAKM

I won a M1082 out of Ft Bragg & got it home (within 30 miles) via the Steel Soldiers Express & a few kind souls including Wes. To get it the last 30 miles, I used one of my Deuces to tow it with the air brakes attached & operational. To try & tow it with a F150 truck is not something I would even dream of trying. That would be more of a nightmare than a dream. 7000 lbs of two wheeled trailer with no brakes is a nightmare when it comes to trying to stop it with a F150. If you were testing it on a closed course with no traffic, it would still be a nightmare.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure if it is possible, but anyone have a hitch recommendation (brand) for picking up a M1082 with an f150?
I went and got both of my 1082s with my 3/4 and it was a breeze theres not much toung weight but thy are like 6500 lb just dont think your gona stop it on a dime. Take 2 cage bolts for the brakes u can take 2 off your truck take a high lift farm jack and a pair of magnet tail light like the ones harbor freight has . Drop the tailgate on the trailer stick the lights to the floor at the rear (theres plenty of wire in those light to reach) . You will have to jack the trailer toung up to fold the trailer jack back into the tow position and if you dont have a multible height pintle plate to go in your receiver TSC has them. Take your time and youll be fine

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went and got both of my 1082s with my 3/4 and it was a breeze theres not much toung weight but thy are like 6500 lb just dont think your gona stop it on a dime. Take 2 cage bolts for the brakes u can take 2 off your truck take a high lift farm jack and a pair of magnet tail light like the ones harbor freight has . Drop the tailgate on the trailer stick the lights to the floor at the rear (theres plenty of wire in those light to reach) . You will have to jack the trailer toung up to fold the trailer jack back into the tow position and if you dont have a multible height pintle plate to go in your receiver TSC has them. Take your time and youll be fine
Oh and THP commercial vehichle enforcement officer told me in person any sigle axle trailer in the state of TN not in the commision of enterprise was not required ro have brake or lic plate but the next officer may disagree dont break any laws and you wont have to be speaking to any of them.lol

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Oh and THP commercial vehichle enforcement officer told me in person any sigle axle trailer in the state of TN not in the commision of enterprise was not required ro have brake or lic plate but the next officer may disagree dont break any laws and you wont have to be speaking to any of them.lol
Tenn Code 55-9-204 lays out the law and that is incorrect. Only farmers are exempt from not having trailer brakes on trailers that are not required to be registered and in excess of 3000lbs

He also has to contend with other state laws for transporting thru them. And an F150 towing it thru the gorge would not be much fun and slow.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tenn Code 55-9-204 lays out the law and that is incorrect. Only farmers are exempt from not having trailer brakes on trailers that are not required to be registered and in excess of 3000lbs
I IM reworked to ask where he had to go to get this trailer i didnt see he had to go to nc . I just had to drag mine about 125 mi twice from ky and did have KY HP pass me on I-24 with no problems but i do agree with you i wouldnt send him through the gorge and hes looking at 500 to 600 mi away. I get with some ltl flatbed company probly wouldnt be that bad of a shipping rate

Reworked LMTV

I recently had a tote filled with about #2000 of fluid slide to the back of my 5 x 10 trailer. It shifted from the middle of the trailer to the back and the trailer started fishtailing all over. It went from stable to dangerous in 1 second. It was a white knuckle day, for me and the people behind me who scattered to the weeds when it started to dance. So I think I will just have one shipped. Not worth the chance of injury to save a buck. Besides, the law is less forgiving of stupidity than ever before.

fasttruck

Post 4 tells it the way it is. Any trailer RATED over 3000 pounds requires some form of brake: electric, air over hydraulic, straight air, surge or what have you. Even the Army is putting surge brakes on generator trailers designed to be pulled by HUMMERS for this reason. About every 6 weeks we get a pilgrim you wants to know if you can pull a M105 or larger drawbar trailer with a pickup truck to save money. You cannot conceptualize how much of your money will change hands if you have an at fault accident while doing this. Just because it will hook up doesn't make it legal or practical.

Reworked LMTV

Thanks everyone for your input. I was not really sure it was even feasible, especially with interstate travel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks