• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear camber

Hmmv4me

I decided to remove the rear camber shims on my M998 to get a strait camber. Wow, those rear upper control arm brackets are a bear to remove by yourself, good thing I have 3 elbows...... Anyway, I know this topic has been beat up a bit around here, but I couldn't find the torque specs on the 4 upper control arm bracket bolts. I searched every TM I have and couldn't even find the topic of replacing them. Someone mentioned 260 ft lbs for the bushing bolts, is that right? I definitely need a bigger torque wrench. I put it back together to see how it looked and without putting it on a rack, it look pretty strait. I was a bit shocked at how much that effected the toe. I now have 2 inches of tow out, hope I can adjust it back in enough.

Attachments

Hmmv4me

The alignment looks pretty good. I think I am going to add a thin shim to the left rear for the camber though, that side had one extra that the other didn't have. It was toed out pretty good on the front, good thing I had it aligned.

Attachments

Inspector 1

Rear Camber

HUMVEE 11 11 2019.jpg

"Happy Veterans Day"
New member. I joined site in July. This is my 1st post.
Seem to be in same boat with rear tire Camber looking like this \ /. My tire wear is a bit different. Tires are wearing evenly but at an alarming rate. Purchased 4 tires with 90% tread. Have about 1000 miles on tires. Front still have 90% tread. Rear are down to about 45% tread. Had Run Flats removed. Tires appear to be balanced well. I do have the 700R transmission with over drive installed. Vehicle will drive at 75 miles per hour. Very comfortable at 70. Rear shims are still installed. 45Lbs. rear tires / 40lbs. front tires. Both rear tires are worn evenly and at the same rate across tread pattern. Would this still have to do with camber? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

mudsharkangler

On your rear tires...have you had the rear Toe correctly adjusted? I had the same issue with the rears, when i first got my vehicle and it turned out the toe was way out of spec.
Since corrected, wears normal now.

Also, I have all shims removed on rear..still about 1.5 degrees positive camber. Can I assume it is the HD rear springs? This vehicle once had a shelter on the back.

Inspector 1

HUMVEE ORIGINAL.jpgHUMVEE 11 11 2019.jpgHUMVEE SPRING.jpgHUMVEE TOE IN.jpg
On your rear tires...have you had the rear Toe correctly adjusted? I had the same issue with the rears, when i first got my vehicle and it turned out the toe was way out of spec.
Since corrected, wears normal now.

Also, I have all shims removed on rear..still about 1.5 degrees positive camber. Can I assume it is the HD rear springs? This vehicle once had a shelter on the back.
1st Pic = Original Humvee at purchase
2nd Pic = Humvee at present time
3rd Pic = Coil Spring (Heavy Duty) ???
4th Pic = Humvee sitting flat surface

Would it be advisable for me to remove the shims before taking it to a shop in order to have the Toe set? If the shims could be left alone I would. If they need to come out I will remove them.
Thanks again for all of your help.

Hmmv4me

View attachment 782561View attachment 782562View attachment 782563View attachment 782564

1st Pic = Original Humvee at purchase
2nd Pic = Humvee at present time
3rd Pic = Coil Spring (Heavy Duty) ???
4th Pic = Humvee sitting flat surface

Would it be advisable for me to remove the shims before taking it to a shop in order to have the Toe set? If the shims could be left alone I would. If they need to come out I will remove them.
Thanks again for all of your help.
This is a bit late, but if you are going to pull the shims to correct the camber, do it before you have the toe set.

Inspector 1

This is a bit late, but if you are going to pull the shims to correct the camber, do it before you have the toe set.
Thank you for the advice. Your not to late as I have not moved forward with this particular project as of yet. I need to act soon as it seems every time I drive the vehicle the tires are visibly worn. Thanks again..

mudsharkangler

Yes, you are literally grinding the rear tires away each time you drive now, until the toe is adjusted within specifications....an aligned is fairly cheap as compared to new tires.

Inspector 1

Yes, you are literally grinding the rear tires away each time you drive now, until the toe is adjusted within specifications....an aligned is fairly cheap as compared to new tires.
Where the tires are wearing evenly, just at an alarming rate, do I need to remove the shims or can the toe be adjusted to specs with the shims left in? I'm under the impression that other than an aesthetic look, as long as the tires are wearing evenly, which they are, then the camber is fine and the shims would not be necessary to remove. This is all new to me so any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Inspector 1

No, you do not need to remove the shims to adjust the toe. I just did it for cosmetic reasons mostly.
You just made my day!!! Now for the million Dollar question: Where would I get the toe set on my Humvee? I live about 30 miles north of Houston Tx. Would NTB tires do that type of work, a dealership possibly, or do I need to find a specialty shop? When I do find a shop that will do this type of work, do I give them a copy of the specs from the manual? Once again thank you in advance for any guidance.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Honestly, if you have a pipe wrench, string, some pencils or small blocks about 1/4" thick and the wrenches for the clamps, it's pretty easy. I just did it a couple weeks ago, and it solved my pulling to the right on a flat road issue (rear left tire too much toe out, and both front tires toed out))

it's not necessarily the best/most perfect method because there can be problems with the frame and tires being parallel to each other with how these are built (or so I have read) but it will get you pretty close to where it needs to be to drive properly.

Last edited:

Hmmv4me

You just made my day!!! Now for the million Dollar question: Where would I get the toe set on my Humvee? I live about 30 miles north of Houston Tx. Would NTB tires do that type of work, a dealership possibly, or do I need to find a specialty shop? When I do find a shop that will do this type of work, do I give them a copy of the specs from the manual? Once again thank you in advance for any guidance.

I had mine done at the local Tires Plus. I found it's best to just drive by and talk to them with the HMMWV in the parking lot. Most tire shops I talked to will not do the shims. My regular mechanic would but it would have been by the hour.

Inspector 1

Good evening ,
I went to a local auto shop to get the Toe adjusted. My 1989 M 998 Humvee would not fit on there machine as the Humvee was to wide. It was recommended that I go to a Firestone as they have a full size alignment machine. I did and my Humvee was able to fit on their machine. Had 4 wheel toe set only. No caster or camber. They told me that specs would be based on a 1992 - 1997 Hummer 1. No Military Humvee of any year would come up in their system. Attached are the specs before and after. As long as the specs are close to the Hummer 1, I should be in good shape. You can see how far the rear Toe was off comparing both the before and after. Cost would have been $79 one time or $179 - 10% Military Discount for the life time alignment. I went with the lifetime. Thank you all for all of your help and suggestions.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks