• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cucmino

Diesel Dominator

Okay So I have a bit of a "fetish" for El Caminos, aa well as a very STRONG Liking to the CUCV

So therein lies my question

Is it possible to put the Detroit Diesel engine and the Allison Auto transmission into an El Camino?

The year of the el camino doesn't matter as Much, honestly

Also wondering if I can convert the el camino to be 4x4 USING gm parts

Is this this just a fantasy or can this be a real thing?

MarcusOReallyus

Is it possible to put the Detroit Diesel engine and the Allison Auto transmission into an El Camino?
Anything is possible with enough money and time, but why would you want to? Outside of GM's stupid attempt to make a diesel out of a 350 gasser (seen in some Oldsmobiles), the 6.2 in our CUCVs might be the weakest diesel in modern times. Weak in terms of power, and weak in terms of longevity. It was designed to be economical, and it does that job, but it's no powerhouse and there are plenty of diesels out there that have a much longer expected lifespan.

Really, an El Camino with a 350 is going to be a far better vehicle than one with a 6.2. The 350 will beat the 6.2 in power AND longevity.

As for the Allison transmission.... um, what Allison transmission? The CUCVs run a straight GM TH400. Nothing special about it. It's a good transmission, but it's no Allison.

eric67camino

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I, too, have a soft spot for the Elcamino. I have a 67. Probably why I like that version best. It was an original 283/power glide car with the Malibu package. Now has a 400 crate engine with a TH350. Anyway, it was my first car and a lot of fun. They are already pretty light in the rear, and I'm betting that a heavy diesel in the front won't make that any better.
If you were dead set on a diesel, I would consider a built duramax.
To get a 4x4, might be easier to swap the elcamino body onto a cucv chassis. Been done lots of times with regular pickups, so I can't imagine it being much different.

nyoffroad

Sure the 6.2 will drop right in and bolt right up useing stock mounts and no need to drill holes or fab mounts, cooling and exhaust would be problem as the CUCV rad probaly won't fit. Exhaust you may be able to use a modified small block Y pipe. Make sure you use a diesel tourqe converter and a 700r4 transmission. With the 700r4 and 308 gears you can comfortably run 70-75 mph and get about 20mpg. Do NOT try to convert a good El camino to a 4x4! It most likely will end up being like most I've seen an unsafe POS!

Another Ahab

Sure the 6.2 will drop right in and bolt right up useing stock mounts and no need to drill holes or fab mounts, cooling and exhaust would be problem as the CUCV rad probaly won't fit. Exhaust you may be able to use a modified small block Y pipe. Make sure you use a diesel tourqe converter and a 700r4 transmission. With the 700r4 and 308 gears you can comfortably run 70-75 mph and get about 20mpg. Do NOT try to convert a good El camino to a 4x4! It most likely will end up being like most I've seen an unsafe POS!
Growing up as a kid back in the late 60's (yeah, you can call me "Old Man"), I had a buddy whose dad was a big-shot lawyer here in D.C.

He was a big-shot lawyer but inside that disguise was a regular guy (+/-) who liked pick-up trucks:

- He had a clean looking el Camino. And he used to work it, too. Landscaping at the house mostly.

- Kept it kind of out-of-sight in his driveway. Didn't want the neighbors talking...

:jumpin::mrgreen::jumpin:

DeadParrot

Don't overlook using a foreign made engine. Might have to do some fab work but a lot of the European motors have decent power and life spans and might wind up being lighter then a 6.2 or Duramax. And an El Camino is basically a 2 person sedan with a large open trunk, not a heavy duty truck.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Welcome from S.E. Missouri.

77' Elky will work as the truck is long to begin with and will have ample room for a 6.2. Find a 73' or later 4x4 truck with drivetrain and get started.

I still see two around built in the mid eighties and they were built back then, and have been continually updated with better more modern equipment.

I say if that is your next build go for it, either soft all terrain suspension or more egressive, but that will take the nice ride and beat you to death. 8)

Now to find a suitable non rusted candidate, and living in AZ. will help. I am kind of surprised that I did not do it. I will run that by the Wife tomorrow, she will tell me to take my 73' 454 Monte Carlo and give it a try. :shock:[thumbzup]

Again Welcome and do you now have a Military Vehicle?

"Anything is possible with enough money and time, but why would you want to"?

..exactly...

Why not drop a bad@$$ high power gasser in it? Sbc or bbc??

You'll spend far less $$$ doing a high power gasser vs trying to get the power youd 'want' out of a 6.x

"6.2 in our CUCVs might be the weakest diesel in modern times. Weak in terms of power, and weak in terms of longevity. It was designed to be economical, and it does that job, but it's no powerhouse and there are plenty of diesels out there that have a much longer expected lifespan."

Add a turbo
Lower compression
Ceramic coat the pistons (6.2 pistons cant take the heat) or keep an eye on those egts like a hawk. 800 is in the orange. 900+ you're in the red.
Swap for a db2831 series pump
Swap the roller chain set for gear driven set
Raise the pop pressure
Head and main studs / girdles
Fluidampr

Youd be surprised what you'll get... but fuel efficent it wont be.

Good friend of mine once told me; the more horses you have in the stables, the more you have to feed em.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not meaning any disrespect whatsoever, but shouldn't this thread be over in the CUCV Hotrodding/Modification forum?

MarcusOReallyus

"6.2 in our CUCVs might be the weakest diesel in modern times. Weak in terms of power, and weak in terms of longevity. It was designed to be economical, and it does that job, but it's no powerhouse and there are plenty of diesels out there that have a much longer expected lifespan."

Add a turbo
Lower compression
Ceramic coat the pistons (6.2 pistons cant take the heat) or keep an eye on those egts like a hawk. 800 is in the orange. 900+ you're in the red.
Swap for a db2831 series pump
Swap the roller chain set for gear driven set
Raise the pop pressure
Head and main studs / girdles
Fluidampr

Youd be surprised what you'll get... but fuel efficent it wont be.

Good friend of mine once told me; the more horses you have in the stables, the more you have to feed em.

No, I wouldn't be surprised. As I said, with enough time and money...

But it's still putting lipstick on a pig.

Comparatively speaking to most any other diesel platform during its era (and even now), in its same class, it's far cheaper to get similar if not better power and efficiency over even some modern engines.

My 6.5 makes more power on the dyno than my brand new 2015 lml. I'll beit, it's highly modified... and the lml is stock... but the stock lml is about 10x more expensive than a modded 6.x. Wont even speak on some of the other elephants (in the room) I've dealt with.

They're not pigs... just misunderstood warthogs.

If you want power from that perspective why not just toss in a cat3406? Lol itll fit!! Put that camino bed to use!!! Haha try and put lipstick on it and itll take your arm off. Like a boss.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks