• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ready to test the new configuration

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bed removed, spare tire elevator removed, batteries relocated to behind the rear axle, air tanks & dryer top side, spare rearward, fuel tank outta the way. Lots of details.
major components.jpg

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lots of clearance.

What's next, you going to frame and skin it like a race truck?
Possibly. Need to put some hours on it to expose weaknesses. Need to put it on the scales to see how front/rear bias has been affected. More CAT yellow paint. Stickers: Goodyear/Meritor/Allison/CAT. Need to mock up a roll cage before committing to 1000 lbs of steel. Upgrade the little Goodyear 46's to the 53's w/out runflats. I suspect there is no end ;)

Last edited:

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, I want the case to be that if I clear an obstacle with the front tire then I am good all the way back without tearing stuff up.

Attachments

Last edited:

coachgeo

thinking of weight balance.. maybe a scrap Mack truck engine block or something and put it back where the spare is sitting or at the spot you have the crane storage box . Put it slung as low as can between chassis rails?..

Last edited:

Reworked LMTV

Actually members of a particular political party make great dead weight. Heck, you don't even have to strap them down. They automatically attach like leaches. :)
thinking of weight balance.. maybe a scrap Mack truck engine block or something and put it back where the spare is sitting or at the spot you have the crane storage box . Put it slung as low as can between chassis rails?..

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be careful with moved center of gravity and weight carried higher.
Recall the bed, at 50 inch height, is absent. Low COG is best, clearly. Moments are important also in this application. Imagine viewing the truck from the rear. Inscribe a circle, say 4 ft diameter. The engine, transmission, and all the stuff on the frame rails might fit inside that circle, an imaginary tube you might say. But keep the ideas and observations coming as surely I have not thought of everything.

Last edited:

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I understand. The toolbox has the HF crane and a bunch of tools, maybe 300 lbs. The batteries are between the frame rails behind the axle. The spare is rearward of stock and the heavy spare deployment elevator is absent. So, let me get the truck to the scales to see where we are before "weighing in" on this ;)

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Front axle= 9100 lbs, rear axle= 4560 lbs. Total 13,660. Net loss of 1340 lbs front, 1680 rear = 3020 lbs reduction. Gonna replace the springs with custom as it drives like a 7 ton basketball.

coachgeo

hmm.... so you also lost 320lb between front and back. Unfortunate. As of now front to back weight ratio is yikes 67% front / 33% rear; though a second spare back there will help bring that back up closer to OEM of 63/37. guess you will need a huge ballast in rear (around 4500lb) for optimum 50/50. With these calculations sounds like you may have been better to just add rear ballast to OEM configuration? Wellll then maybe not... cause adding ballast to get to optimum in your new configuration makes you only 1500lb heaver than OEM while ballasting the OEM configuration would make you way heavier than OEM.

maybe cut your old bed in half and mount it on the rear half of the truck?

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Considering moving the drivetrain rearward. I need to log more hours on the truck first, to get some empirical data. Tomorrow is my goal to post a video from last saturday of a 3 point turn in a narrow wash. Well, more like a 17 point turn :)

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmm, another drive axle back there might work.....don't get me started :):)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks