• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ham Radio Operators / Steel Soldiers

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was hoping to come up with a way to get Steel Soldiers who are also Ham Radio Operators, together somehow. Is there a way to add an icon to our profile or something? Maybe just checking in here and just creating our own "pencil list" might be the only way. Just a thought. I know there are a few here.

Amatuer radio operators can be of great benefit at rallies and convoys. We enjoy the hobby and are always trying to keep it alive. With IM, internet, texting, cell phones, etc., it's a dying hobby.

Any interest? Any ideas?

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wanted to suggest that, but Google-ing a call-sign reveals a lot of personal info. I didn't know if that was the best way to go. I'm still a little leery, myself.

alphadeltaromeo

Good idea Kenny...done that aldy *grin* I don't think it's a dying hobby though...perhaps in some parts of the country. I was at our ham monthly meeting this past Tuesday evening and we're planning a D-Star mesh network over our county...connecting all of the repeaters via microwave for emergency response. We get quite a few tornado's (3 within 30 miles this year alone so far), so having digital capability with video/data uplinks is essential.

I do like your thinking though! Great idea.

Andy

BillIdaho

Admittedly, there aren't many Steel Soldiers around these parts, but I am one and also have my Ham license. Count me in, somehow.
I pretty well had to get a Ham license for my Comm-model Gama Goat. I figure if I am going to sink a gaggle of money and over a handful of radios on it, (and they all work), I may as well use them as best I can. Legally.
The county was nice enough to put a Yeasu single band in my (their) cop car once they found out I had a license. They figure if something really bad happens, and we lose our repeaters, we can fall back on the Hams.
It's a win-win for me.
I'm all for it. Maybe a symbol next to our name or something. Then a super secret handshake, Then private meetings, then our own heirarchy.then...oh never mind. I'm back now.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have a HF radio in my duece, it is a 125 Watt model with a self tuning antennae. Would we be able to get a standard frequency that we could DX on? I am waiting on my call sign to be renewed as the last time I had one it was back in the 70's. I think it is a great idea to get it started especially when some of the rallies are in the deep woods.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went ahead and added "Amateur Radio" to my signature. That should flag other hams. I'm sure as time goes on, we'll be able to develope our own lists.

I'd like to fiqure out a way to put together a list of "favorites" (SS members). All I can do now is save threads. Any better ideas?

Anyway, it never hurts to have some comm guys around. Comm is key!

tamangel

how are the tests these days for General.. Never made it past novice as couldn't pass the 15 WPM code test... Electronic theory still heavy in the tests?

Mike

A typical vice of American politics is the avoidance of saying anything real on real issues.
Theodore Roosevelt

BillIdaho

I just got my Tech license a year or so ago. The best way is to go to QRZ.com, (I think) and start taking the tests. You have to keep taking them until they start becoming too easy. Then take your $14.00 and take the real test. No morse code to memorize for the Tech license. The theory part is pretty easy. It is actually mostly common sense.
I guess you could get the book, but I started the computer tests the same time I got the book, and I think I spent a couple of days in the book, and a couple of weeks on the computer after work each night for a half hour. The book didn't seem to stick with me as much.
I highly advise getting a Ham license. It opens all kinds of possibilities. Fun, Emergency comms, talking to people all over the world.

ems4ty

No Morse Code requirement for Technician or General Class. I hear General Class is just as easy as the Technician License. I got my Tech license back in August I think. Spend a lot of time on VHF. Our local club just had a club picnic last weekend and I used the Club Callsign on HF for the first time. Made 27 contacts across the United States operating a Yaseau FT-900, Dipole wire antenna thrown between a few trees, (1) 12 Volt Marine Battery and a 50 Watt Solar Panel in the park. It was AWESOME!!! I can't wait to get a chance to take my General License. HF is a Blast!!!

73 - KI6LMI

No Point hiding the call sign because you throw it out on the air and the whole world will know who you are. If you want privacy, then don't become a HAM because your infomation becomes public record with the FCC.

alphadeltaromeo

I'd concur with the qrz.com practice tests: http://www.qrz.com/p/testing.pl there ya go. Just take the practice tests over and over for the technician. If you invest 30 mins each day for a few weeks...you should be able to pass the test without issue quite honestly. Ham radio is pretty incredible and there are a great group of folk that operate...quite similar to SS with respect to cooperation, etc.

In my car I have the ICOM V8000 2M radio...has 75watt output and it's simple but very effective. I commute 53 miles door-to-door and being able to yack with really sharp folk on the drive is great. My son (13 yrs old) has an HT (hand held transceiver) 2M and we can interact on my drive. I plan on having a radio in the M818 in the future for communications flexibility.

Study the qrz.com tests and go take the tech test...it's easy and you'll love it.

Andy

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The tests have been re-designed. Morse code is no longer included or required. General Class is what I have, but Technician Class is fine for getting started on repeaters, which is what most amateurs appreciate as most affordable. Extra Class is tough. It just is. If you're really into theory, go for it. But getting started? No reason to blow brain fuses on Extra Class right off.

Study at these sites:

http://www.qrz.com/testing.html

http://www.aa9pw.com/radio/

There are test sites everywhere. there are evening classes, weekends, whatever. It's fun.

...after you study, find a test scheduled in your area and, :grd:

123mack

To find when and where to take your test, arrl.org is a great resource. 2M would be good for convoys and rallys, for one thing used 2M mobile an HT's con be found rather cheap. I'm going to put a 2M powered by a 24v to 12v convertor in my M35A2. If anyone ever comes across a PRC-70 or 74 HF radio, please let me know- I'm in the market for one. KG4ZXI

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks