• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ham Radio Operators / Steel Soldiers

Fred431

Ham Radio

Reply to OPCOM. I used operate a AN/GRC142 back in my military days we used to use headphones to eliminate a lot of the noise from the radio as well as the teletypes. As for cheap finals I have no source. There is a guy on Ebay who is in Cyprus that advertises tubes and parts from the 106. I got my 106 from Fair Radio worked right out of the box after I installed meters. I bought the unchecked ones and took the gamble. My next project is to get a Navy TCS-12 on the air. Tubes for that are plentiful and cheap

Fred

n1bnc

RE: Ham Radio

Doghead, indeed there is a hambook for dummies. I have not read it, but it is out there somewhere. I would recommend checking the library @ www.arrl.org

With this group, you can find a local radio club to provide exams and other advice. It helps to have an "elmer" a fellow who helps you with the questions and answers to help you get a license and then on the air. The license part is cake. You already scored 51% without much of a clue as to the details. Congrats!!!!

I have helped many others get their licenses so we could get a small group of people to do a Ham Radio contest. The goal of which is to contact as many different people as possible in a finite period of time. There is a lot of camaradarie amongst the players and competition can get pretty exciting.

There are other facets of ham radio which are more emergency communication related which may fit some of the folks here as they provide disaster communications for such events like the Katrina hurricane where normal communications like cell phones and landlines fail. Hams are famous for making a radio from close to nothing and sending a signal for help or to say "hi". Earlier I posted an article about a fellow how bounces his signals off of the moon for fun. Technically challenging is the reason why people do such things.

My personal immediate goal is to make my way up to the French islands off of New Foundland called St Pierre and Miquelon Islands as they are property of France and the Euro rules over the Canadian/USA dollar. There are not a lot of ham radio people there and other hams from around the world would like to make a contact with a station from here in order to apply for awards or to simply say " I contacted a ham from X location".

"DX'ing" means contacting stations that are not near you. On shortwave, that means anywhere in the world. On VHF (think TV or FM broadcast) the distances involved are often less.

Other hams will transmit various flavors of television, digital, morse code(not a requirement) facsimile, and so on.

People often ask about how much it costs to buy a radio or get into ham radio. The answer is one that does not have a simple clear answer. Naturally, like M35's and so on, the more $ the better quality equipment and or antennas one can buy. But there are folks who make their own equipment that can fit inside an Altoids can and with a long piece of wire, work the world on morse code(CW).

Short answer is that there is something for everyone! Much like others here on SS, we have been doing this since our teens. Age requirements have not been a concern with the FCC, as I think the youngest ham was 5yr old.

Have at it and have fun!

Shieldwolf37

RE: Ham Radio

Green radios certainly are fun. Some of the cautions about not for entry level shou'ld be heeded though. One of my favorite rigs is the PRC/47 HF set. Once modified for LSB (unfortunatly just about all 1960"s plus Mil rigs are USB. Not bad except it only covers 2-12 megs), but it is easy to blow the rectifiers while tuning if not careful. Then its a great reciever, because changing the rectifiers are a BEAR!
Another geat rig is the TRC/77 HF backpack rig when you can find one. Covers 2-30megs AM/CW in 6 crystal controlled channels running about 18watts.Unfortunatly since the battery was part of the lower cover and was of the caustic soda type you rarely find a battery box with these Vietnam era radios. Awooden replacement is fairly easy to fabricate. The PRC25/77 battery box won't fit.
The best vehicular reciever is R392. This is the vehicular version of the R-390/A. Superb on CW/AM and not bad on SSB either.
Here's one more worth getting the GRR/5 net reciever. This beauty runs on 6,12,24 volts DC 120V AC and a dry battery pack. The dry batteries are long since unavailable but you can make you'r on A/B pack. 8"D" cells wired in parrallel provide the filiment voltage. 15 9volts wired series parallel provide screen voltage (you can use the 45volt Mallory batteries from Antique electronic supply). We used this rig at Gilbert an on the battery it ran for over 50hrs. Not bad.

rboltz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
106 USB/LSB Filters

I have the e-mail for the guy selling AN/GRC-106 filters. Send PM if you want it.

BillIdaho

This thread is pleasantly growing, much to my amazement. I have about ALL of those previously mentioned radios on the back of my Goat.
I like the idea of an identifier of some sort where our names are. Now I am going to have to figure out how to post some good pics of my Communication Goat. It looks like a porcupine when I set all the antennas up.

steelandcanvas

RE: Another ham here

Let's say I studied and got my Tech License, what would be a good military starter radio for me? I would eventually like to put this radio in my Deuce. This is all hypothetical of course.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Another ham here

steelandcanvas said:
Let's say I studied and got my Tech License, what would be a good military starter radio for me? I would eventually like to put this radio in my Deuce. This is all hypothetical of course.
Once you get that Tech license, (and it'll be easy), you're first radio will most likely be a 2-Meter hand-held or mobile radio, (looks about like a typical dash-mount comm radio). They run off 12 volts, and aren't standard military, but you're talking, and you're legal.

Here are two big Ham equipment sites:

http://www.universal-radio.com/

http://www.hamradio.com/

There are others, but you can really look over the various products available right now.

I'm not savvy on the military radios. These other comm guys will have to explain more there.

per cranetruck;
Good idea Patrick. It may lead the way to other identifiers a medic, perhaps...
The size and placement should be determined in the profile section, another little job for Mike.
:ditto:

Anything more generic we could agree on here?

(View clipart)

http://pages.prodigy.net/kg0zz/clipart/index.html

ems4ty

RE: Re: RE: Another ham here

Another great source for Ham Radio Equipment is www.hamcity.com

They are very reasonable on prices and shipping and are usually cheaper than www.hamradiooutlet.com

My first rig is my mobile unit - Yaesu FT-8900 Mobile Quad Band + YSK-8900 Seperation Kit http://www.hamcity.com/detail.aspx?ID=324 with a Comet CSB790A Antenna http://www.hamcity.com/SearchResult.aspx?KeyWords=csb790a. The antenna is for 2 Meter and 440. However you could use whatever antenna that suites your needs.

Otherwise, If you want a H/T (Hand-Held Transceiver) then something like a Yaesu VX-7R would work - http://www.hamcity.com/SearchResult.aspx?KeyWords=VX7R.

As far as Green Radio's are concerned - I have a working RT-524 in my Deuce. Only problem is that there isn't anyone nearby that I can talk to on it. I think the range is approx. 60 Miles Line of Sight on high power on 6 Meters if I'm not mistaken.

Those are a couple of opinions. Do some research to find out what suites your needs. I use both of these and have been happy. I'd recommend getting the software kit so that you could program the radio with a computer. It makes entering Freq's a whole lot easier and less confusing. You should still always read the manual that comes with your radio thoroughly though.

I'm only a little partial to Yaesu radio's just because that's what I have. I haven't used any other manufacturer like Kenwood, Icom, etc... Just choose a radio that you think will suite you. I'm in no way an expert on these myself...

Just my 2cents

73 - KI6LMI

BTW - Not sure if I'm allowed to post the links shown above. If I'm not, please let me know and I'll remove them promptly. Thx.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ems4ty,

I take it, the military frequencies are available to hams? You say, 6-Meter band?

What military radios can be used by hams and/or non-hams?

ems4ty

oifvet - Visit this link to the ARRL website. http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/bands.html On this page you can download a PDF version of the frequency band plan chart. On this chart, it shows what frequencies each level of class (Technician, General, Extra) can operate on. As a Technician, you can operate on 6 Meter (50.0Mhz to 54.0Mhz.)

Also, Check out the text version that has some more detailed descriptions of each portion of the band and what mode of transmission is used shown here: http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/bandplan.html

Now, the RT-524 Rig that I have, can operate on Frequencies 30Mhz thru 73 Mhz. Which means that you only need a Techie license to operate this rig. You can not transmit on any other frequency that this radio has available other than the 6 Meter range of 50.0 to 54.0. However, the problem herein lies that the radio (If I'm not mistaken) only transmitts in FM Mode. Furthermore, you only have the option of "New Squelch" which is a factory set 150Hz PL Tone, or "Old Squelch" which is no tone but rather a carrier squelch, or no squelch at all. Finally, the RT-524 (And I'm almost pretty confident that other "Green Radios" are similar) only has a stepping capability of 0.05Mhz. This is a problem in itself because some of the commonly used simplex frequencies are 52.02, 52.04, 52.525, 52.54, 53.02, 53.52 and 53.09. All of which the RT-524 can't tune into. :( For instance, the RT-524 can tune to 52.00, 52.05, 52.10, 52.15, 52.20 etc... If your not dead on, they won't hear you, and if they can, you'll sound distorted. aua

You can receive signals on any frequency that the radio will do, (For instance, the local Highway Patrol office is on 39.45 Mhz I believe) but you can only transmit on the 6 Meter band as allowed by FCC Rules. (Now I could be entirely wrong in this next Sentence) Since most people transmit on SSB (Single Side Band) its hard to find anyone to talk to on FM like this radio does.

But, if you have a group of a fellas who have the "Green Radios" then you could effectively use it while taking part in a convoy or close range applications, like up to a 60 Mile Range Line of Sight I think. [thumbzup]

I have not done a whole heck of a lot of research on the capability of this radio or any other for that matter. I just know that my rig works (I verified it by setting up my scanner and transmitting on my rig and was sucessful.) I have heard a conversation on 6 Meters a few months ago, but the other party didn't hear me. I assume that it was because they were using a PL Tone Squelch other than 150 Hz. Also, keep in mind that the "Green Radio" that I have does not have the capability of being used on a traditional repeater (Where you receive on one frequency and transmit on another). Therefore, it's like a simplex radio.

Hopefully, NF6X might chime in as he's pretty well knowledgable on this topic too.

73 - KI6LMI :beer:

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great post Tyler! Thank you! Really opens up some doors!

Bottom line: Folks need to get their "Technician" level ham license. Then they can get on 6-Meter (military) radios.

Of course there are other bands "Techs" can be on, but we can, "stay green" with the 6-Meter military radios in our trucks.

Awesome!

kc8sfq

Green Radios

The 524 is a nice radio, If money permits, I'll have one (some day) It is compatible with the PRC-77 in the "new on" squelch mode and with the RT-68, PRC 10 and PRC-6 in the "old on" mode. We have several "hams" in our MV club and have found that the green radios stand up better in the field than "rice boxes". I have to agree with the posts above that recommend starting with the commercially available radios. The green stuff can be frustrating even to those of us with some experience in them.

Go take the exam and get your license, Ham radio is just TOO much fun. Our County Sheriff recognizes my truck and waves (with all five fingers). He's seen it, and me at county disaster exercises. My wife and I are active with our Ham radios and the green trucks in the county Emergency Management System. Between the truck and the Ham radios, we can get sophisticated COMMO to anywhere in the county, any time it is needed. The Emergency Manager recognizes that and uses us in that mission. TOO much fun, and a community service to boot.

KC8SFQ

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Green Radios

Was just thinking about you radioheads and might have come up with something. Why not invade the PX on certain nights anf fess up your frequencies and get a talkgroup going? Bet we could get that chatroom renamed for you guys if the idea is liked. Could even have a predetermined frequency and others would know you were on the air by just checking that chatbox. Sound stupid?

steelandcanvas

Re: RE: Green Radios

Recovry4x4 said:
Was just thinking about you radioheads and might have come up with something. Why not invade the PX on certain nights anf fess up your frequencies and get a talkgroup going? Bet we could get that chatroom renamed for you guys if the idea is liked. Could even have a predetermined frequency and others would know you were on the air by just checking that chatbox. Sound stupid?
I think they call this a "roll call", where everyone checks in on the net.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks