• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ham Radio Operators / Steel Soldiers

kc8sfq

RE: Green Radios

... just checking that chatbox. Sound stupid?

No, it doesn't sound stupid. (Murphy's seventh law of combat states "If it sounds stupid but it works...It ain't stupid)

That having been said, I still haven't even figured out how to post an avatar. when I get it down to 160 X 160 pixels, My M-37 looks like it's made of Legos.

Towerguy1

Radio

The room could be called "The Shack" as most Ham's and other radio operators loveingly call their operateing positions. I have been in the hobby a long time and it has been very rewarding for me. Also over time I've collected a large number of radios, my shack has evolved from shack to more like command center..... But It doesn't take big and fancy to get on the air and have fun! There are even a few military receivers in there.

73's de KA1UMG

-.-. --.-

Attachments

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Radio

"The Shack" has my vote for re-naming the "PX" or creating another chat for the radio-heads.

Who do we see for this? Should I fill out an ID-10-T form?

HMMWV

CQ CQ DE N3AGE

Started to rig HMMWV with gear. Looking to go to swap meets to get "stuff" to add to other end of antennas! I have added a 24v to 12v inverter for light duty. Might add batteries and have seperate 12v for rigs that need tons of amps., keep load off my primary power.

Looking for military radios, and in the true sense of HAM, cheaper is better. LOL

N3AGE

Towerguy1

RE: CQ CQ DE N3AGE

Speaking of swap meet...... Anyone here going to the N.E.A.R.fest (past known as Hosstraders) in NH. on the 2nd and 3rd of May? There are usually some military radio and MV people there. A good place to add to the stuff collection!

BigJay

Re: Radio

Towerguy1 said:
The room could be called "The Shack" as most Ham's and other radio operators loveingly call their operateing positions. I have been in the hobby a long time and it has been very rewarding for me. Also over time I've collected a large number of radios, my shack has evolved from shack to more like command center..... But It doesn't take big and fancy to get on the air and have fun! There are even a few military receivers in there.

73's de KA1UMG

-.-. --.-
Oooooo you got the BIG Heathkit... I had an SB200.. Really nice piece. In fact I recognize a lot of your gear. I liked that older stuff, just wish I held on to some of it.

-Jay

Towerguy1

Radio

Real radios glow in the dark!!! They also keep the shack warm. Yes the SB 220 is a great amp! The large "tube" receivers are also very good, and all military. Collins R-388, 2 Hammarlund R-274c/FRR's and a RCA Diversity receiver. The green box is a AN/PDR-63 Geiger counter (just in case), The rest is different ham gear and test equipment. My station covers 300Hz to about 1.2 GHz almost entirely.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If we create one exclusive "area", it may lead to other exclusive areas for "gear heads", diesel experts etc. I don't think that would benefit the general population of the steelsoldiers forum, just my HO.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would say you are right, cranetruck.

However, the area would be open to ALL Steel Soldiers members! It is an additional area of interest that ANYONE can pursue and enjoy. The idea is not to exclude anyone.

But, I agree. Feelings may get hurt and it is not an "all-encompassing" arena. We wouldn't have 100% mutual fuzzies.

It was good that all the hams got a chance to introduce themselves, though! I see several are using their call-signs for SS handles! That's great! We'll find a better way to communicate along the way.

73s!

fat lady sings

Towerguy1

I guess what might work just as well is simply ad HAM radio to the Military Radios catagory. Maybe for the benifit of the forum a HAM and MARS radio catagory.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The old adage, "If you build it, they will come," I believe is very true. Just look at Disneyland. Or this website, for that matter.

I think if something was established for the comm guys, it would be utilized. Just showing the interest as we have, should mean something.

Oh well. I'm not a duck hunter, but I think I know what, "dead in the water" means now.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
What about the great geographic spread we have here on Steel Soldiers? If we had a list of frequencies and time that some would be on them that would be a chance for some Steel Soldier DXing

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks