• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ham Radio Operators / Steel Soldiers

plode

So I'm buying a M923A2 in the next week. Already am thinking about installing some rigs in it.
Definitely a 2m/440 rig- I do have a Yaesu FT-7900 I can run for now- any input on an antenna to run? Would eventually like to get a D Star rig in it since a lot of local OEM's have installed D-Star repeaters and use them for RACES. Would like to run the IC-2820, so I can run APRS on one side, and still have the other side available for voice, but they are so darn expensive. I also have a Kenwood TS-480SAT that I'm not currently using. It would be a good fit for a mobile setup, but I'm not sure what antenna I'd run in the truck.
FWIW, I plan on buying an Astron 24v-12v converter to run the radios off of, and a 12v cigarette socket so I can charge my phone. I like to stick with companies that are familiar with me, but maybe if there are cheaper, reliable options- let me know.

Jeff001

I really like the SUPER TRI MAG MAGNET NMO ANT MOUNT TRAM1269. This mount has what is called an NMO mount so you can screw in a standard Antenna base. I like the DUAL BAND 1/4 WAVE NMO ANTENNA 2 METER/ 440 both available relatively inexpensively. This is a SERIOUS mag mount that I first encountered while I was in the military. We had trouble with normal mag mount antennas coming off in rough terrain and high winds. These things absolutely will not blow off. Triple magnet. Sold by Palmetto Antennas 1412 E Mississippi Ave, Ruston, LA 71270 (318) 255-5200 and Kaye Lane KD5YZA & Jerry AD5AQ Darnell. The mount is about 43 bucks and the dual band antenna is about 15 bucks.

plode

That mount is huge. 3x 5" magnets... I know these trucks are big, but is there anywhere to even mount that, other then in the bed or on the hood? :lol: I don't have an issue drilling or installing military mounts to install an antenna on the truck. It does have a hard top roof, but is that metal or fiberglass?

Jeff001

The trucks are really big. No problem with space. Will mount on the fender or on top of you have a container in the bed. The problem with the actual tactical military antennas is that they have very poor performance because of two reasons. Military bands are wide and wide band antennas typically have poor performance when compared to antennas designed for smaller specific bands. The second reason is for tactical reasons, the Army wants the signal to only have enough power to make it to the next truck. If the signal were strong then it could be received by the enemy too. This antenna will stick on the fender no problem. If you are not afraid to drill a hole, then call them up and order a simple through hole mount.
However, I totally understand for collector purposes you might want a genuine military antenna. So you need to look to surplus. The places to get surplus antennas is Fair Radio Sales in Lima OH, and Murphy Surplus in California. Mike Murphy has a military 403 TO 470 MHZ MBITR BROADBAND ANTENNA $139 EA. and a mounting bracket for about $25.00. The two meter antenna is more rare but call them and ask. Call MURPHYS SURPLUS WAREHOUSE: ( NEAR SAN DIEGO) 619 444 7717 EMAIL murphy@cts.com

Jeff001

The contact information of Fair Radio Sales is 419-227-6573 and 419-223-2196. or email fairradio@fairradio.com Again, I have no financial interest in these companies and I am hoping that other people will come forward with other names of people selling this stuff. Another area of interest you may want to explore is base station antenna and towers. The military has a lot of nice portable / deployable base station antenna towers that pack really nicely for a road trip / camping trip.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Excellent tip on Fair Radio. They are right up the road from me about 90 miles.

Jeff001

OH YES, been there once years ago, totally forgot about it. What an adventure! Lots of "one of a kind" a "make offer" sort of collection. Been years since I have been there. Perhaps I will make a trip again this coming summer.

When you go to Fair... If you are feeling really adventurous, ask to see the back room...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks