• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ham Radio Operators / Steel Soldiers

tomc

Yep, I agree once you come up on frequency everyone can check out your profile anyway. Planning on putting a screwdriver antenna on my M1010 for the times that I have the HF in it.

Radioshop

Howdy WB0ATS here. I'm into VHF/UHF. I've got GE Deltas with S825 heads or, GE Orions slated to go into my M1009. These radios were used on EDACS systems, which are used on post at Ft. Benning. Green radios are cool, but in a CUCV I think an on-post type of radio would also be pretty accurate. There's also been a proliferation of Motorola Micom ALE radios on E-bay lately, which are modern greenish radios.

I might get out from under my ham radio cold turkey and get my no-code General upgrade. It's pretty pathetic, I get on the air for two public service events every year and that's about it. It's always a scramble to pull gear together for these events. Like every other good ham I have small fortune in radio inventory. I really ought to use the stuff. It'd be cool to do a ham radio MV owner's net on HF.

kc8sfq

Ham radio, A shameless plug

Hi All:
We are planning details for the Ft Custer trail ride this weekend. I just received a message from a member regarding what COMMO we'll be using. The plan is to monitor the W8HVG linked repeater system and the Battle Creek local repeater, until we get camp set up. At that time, we'll be switching to 147.58 simplex for COMMO on post. With this setup, we can keep in touch with hams, in most cases, all the way on their trip. This will give a safety net for those coming from a ways away.

The Battle Creek repeater is 146.66 - with a 94.8 PL. For those of you who are interested, look up the Independent Repeater Association at: W8HVG.org That thing is fantastic. We can stay in touch over most of the lower peninsula and in many places, we can open it with just a handy talky. Pretty cool COMMO

OK...OK... Soapbox now returned to the stowed position.

Hopefully, I'll have some pix to offer next week.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Ham radio, A shameless plug

kc8sfq,

Perfect! That's the way to do it!

Thanks for getting the information out and using good, "comm!"

[thumbzup]

BillIdaho

I have already posted once or twice on this thread. I started with MV'S, bought a Goat, restored it at a comm-model, and discovered green radios are almost a separate hobby within a hobby.
I finally finished installing all the radios, receivers, teletype, etc, in my Goat (cables are another story), and now I am trying to concentrate on stuff for the house (actually my shed out back). I found an extendable 45 foot tower FOR A WHOPPING $5.00 ! It needs a little love towards the base, I think it took an impact, but well within my repair capabilities. Now, I am fighting the city Pand Z for being able to install it. $600 for application fees, an enviromental impact study by a certified engineer, an 8' fence around the tower, written permission from everyone who lives within 300 yards, THEN the filing fee for the permit, THEN the permit fee, signs all around the tower, and I am leaving out the minor ones.
I realize FCC PRB-1 declared I can have it without undue hassles or restrictions, but who decides what undue restrictions are? You guessed it, the P and Z. If I wasn't for my job, I would just throw it up and forget about it. The local HAM clubs haven't offered much help.
I think I am going to try and find another WORKING RT524, or RT246 at Lodi, and toss it in my shed as a start.
Whatever became of having a signal corps crest on our avator?
Keep it going guys! KE7KFC

charlessocccer

Hi, im a somewhat new HAM operator.

I got my General license in early december, my call sign is KD8JWE

Right now, im running a barefoot Yeasu 757 with a dipole in the trees out back.

I am going to the Dayton Hamvention and hoping to get a handheld and possibly a mobile.

anyone else going???

Chut1st

Man, I keep finding the coolest threads on this site!

Extra KE4NTI with a Kenwood TM-D700 and an Icom IC-706MkII with 102" whip and Icom tuner in my pickup. Always moniter 146.520 in West TN so if anyone mobiles through, give me a call. I also beacon on APRS as "KE4NTI-7".

I've been collecting military radio equipment for a while and will probably be putting some of my stuff in the classifieds here before long.

73 DE KE4NTI

Last edited:

eyesofthunder

I am returning back to SS, was on the old forum once in a while.

N0DIH

My only military gear is a R392/T195 with partial cabling. I used to have an ol BC603/BC604 radio set with base and all. Worked if I could get my 2 car batteries charged up... Darn 24v systems!

I have an Icom IC-745, Kenwood TS-830S, Radio Shack HTX-202 and Icom IC-28H for HF and 2M.

In the process of putting up my 5BTV in the back so I can get up on HF at home.

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
Reading this thread brought back lost of memories. Last year Dave ,(Armyman30+) and I became good friends and he talked me into getting a HAm radio and license. Well I was build a house and working 10 hours a day and had a mother that was dying so I put it off until my like slowed down in the winter. I got a manual and read and studied. Dave was coming home in a month and by then I would have my test taken and we were gonna set up a 2 meter system in my deuce and at home so we could chat. There are so many threads that have been around for yeras and then one pops up and we see our old friend Dave and his words of wisdom.
Well I passed my test, got a mobile and a handheld and once again I am waiting on my life to slow down so I can play with them. Reading this thread bought back some strange feelings and reminded me just how short life is and how quickly it can change or end.

deuceaid

Banned
Hello all.

I think the signal core would be cool . This thread started out looking for a way to disignate Hams, But I think it should be obvious to everyone ( ham, non-ham) that this is what it is , and even moreso that everyone is welcome to join in and learn or coment!

73`s Jason ki6cpo :-D

rlwm211

Hey; This sounds like a great idea to try to establish a section here for Amateur radio operators on Steel Soldiers. Extra class here, and I have a renovated S250 that serves as our incident response group's coomunications controll center. I have the shelter mounted on a civvy generator trailer and I installed a class 4 hitch on the back of my deuce and can haul the trailer behind the deuce and to be honest, the rig looks proper even though the trailer is not mil issued.
Call W2WHT
73's

eyesofthunder

I have a couple mast antennas that I am looking at selling, the ones for the AN/GRC-19 set, I think we used them for SINGARS too. I forget which they are, but once is in a crate and one in a canvas bag. I don't have anything on 6M, so I can't really use them, maybe if they will work on 10M....

They are the 30-75 MHz banded ones. I had the low band dipole set with the fishing like reels, I had it up in my dad's backyard so he could use and someone cut the wires and stole the reels. I wasn't too happy, it WAS a complete set.... Worked pretty good on HF.

I agree, a Ham board would be cool. Would be slick to get a S250 or an old RATT rig. I did some inverter work on a RATT rig once, but that is about it. I was a Radar guy, I worked on Firefinder Radars.

LightCorporal

wow, what a collection. I would like to see all that stuff, despite the fact that
I am so ign'r'nt that I don't know what most of those numbers mean.
I just recently learned what an M35 is. Sure is fascinatin', though!
3 or as many as you can carry with both hands and a backpack, cheers
for the ham radio notices. I currently don't have a license but have had
off and on over more than 50 years.
Being an old geezer, I long for the old days of hand-wound coils and discrete
components, and, of course, Fleming valves. I don't quite date to crystal
xcvrs and spark xmtrs, but I have messed about, with both critters.
I think that youngsters miss a lot of fun, with all this solid state stuff.
And, yes, I do think that all hams should know Morse code.
So there!:roll:

Last edited:

JeffsIFAW50

Hello Amateur Radio Operators & Everybody Else!

Hello!
My name is Jeff and I've been WD4IHS for over 32 years now. I'm proficient in Morse code and have been repairing all types of electronics for over 35 years. Yesterday I acquired a 1950 Hammarlund Amateur Receiver that I'm currently working on! It's so cool it would've made Steve Irwin say; "Crikey" because "She's A Real Beauty"!
I'll let you go for now.
73's
Jeff :)
WD4IHS

www.ifaw50.com
www.drycreekcustoms.com
www.jeffsauctionemporium.com

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks