• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Soften M1123 suspension

Mk23

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How can you improve the ride on the M1123? It's got the 3000lbs, springs correct? Can you put softer springs in, like the 1250lbs ones? Or even the 954lbs ones? Would spacers be needed to maintain ride height?

Can anyone please point me in the right direction? My google-fu is letting me down this morning. Thank you

REF

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M1123 is an extended capacity unit, swapped in a set of rear variable rate springs 12342616, 5360-01-357-2413. bolted right in with vary little to no change in ride height.
I left the front springs alone. rides much better now. I run around unloaded most of the time and with no weight in the back the rear suspension with stock springs hardly moved (based on shock travel) now the rear suspension moves. I would do it again.
Yours may have the variable rate springs already some M1123's did, just take a caliper and measure the diameter ( size of the round steel it's made of) of your bottom coil, as you move up the spring the coils will get smaller on the variable rate spring.
hope that makes sense to you.
good luck

Mk23

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for the lead and the part Number! I googled some pics and I can see what you mean about the shape of the spring. I will check mine out and see what I have.

Any upgrades available for the Shocks? I know the GMV used Rod Hall shocks, are those available? Do they improve the ride, or is it mostly for desert woops...

REF

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To be honest, I haven't pushed mine hard enough in the desert yet that shocks have been a problem. The stock shocks have worked well for tooling around town and off road. I have not driven off road fast enough yet and worked the suspension hard enough to have any issues. Now if I put a ton or more in the back and try running the desert at 45MPH or more I would expect the shocks to heat up.
That being said;
If you find shock that work for you please let us know what they are.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I read somewhere that the Moog 81085 springs for some model Nissan work great in the rear of a light HMMWV, anyone else heard of this?

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you put variable rate springs in the back...you also need the upper cast iron mounts.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How can you improve the ride on the M1123? It's got the 3000lbs, springs correct? Can you put softer springs in, like the 1250lbs ones? Or even the 954lbs ones? Would spacers be needed to maintain ride height?

Can anyone please point me in the right direction? My google-fu is letting me down this morning. Thank you
most m1123’s had the non-variable rate spring MWO applied due to MAK.
you would need to install 954lb fronts and variables in the rear to get it back to pre-MAK.

Mk23

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you. Yes, my 1123 did have MAK applied

I just received the variable rear springs and plan on putting those in.

Is 12338316-1 the correct part number for the 954lbs front springs? If yes, any idea who might have them in stock?

most m1123’s had the non-variable rate spring MWO applied due to MAK.
you would need to install 954lb fronts and variables in the rear to get it back to pre-MAK.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you. Yes, my 1123 did have MAK applied

I just received the variable rear springs and plan on putting those in.

Is 12338316-1 the correct part number for the 954lbs front springs? If yes, any idea who might have them in stock?
make sure you have casted rear spring uppers...most m1123’s have the old style.

Crapgame

I read somewhere that the Moog 81085 springs for some model Nissan work great in the rear of a light HMMWV, anyone else heard of this?
For Nissan Armada SUV? Approx 207inches long, 79 inches wide, GVWR 6800-7100lbs, 9000lb tow capacity. The springs soften the road contours while the shock absorbers reduce the body bouncing on the springs.

For about $130/pair I suppose it couldn't hurt to try, other than the physical effort to change the rear springs.

I'm in the same boat on a 1994 M1097A1, would like a softer ride to preserve my spinal discs and dental fillings.

coolboatguy

I came up with this. It works. But I have a lighter vehicle m998. I also used the 1" daystar spacer cut down a 1/4" to give me a 24" ride height hub to fender.

SMP2010

I came up with this. It works. But I have a lighter vehicle m998. I also used the 1" daystar spacer cut down a 1/4" to give me a 24" ride height hub to fender.
How did you cut down the spacer? And do you have any part numbers you can share? I also have a M998. Did you leave the stock springs in front?

coolboatguy

How did you cut down the spacer? And do you have any part numbers you can share? I also have a M998. Did you leave the stock springs in front?
I used a router personally but you could use a table saw, reciprocating saw or even just leave it. The router allows you to ease the inside corner of the spacer to fit over the lip of the mount. The spacer has a flat bottom and mount has a lip.

I have since upgraded to coilovers in the front. I like the adjustability of spring swaps, and shock valvings. If someone was to do this I would suggest do the rears first. Then decide what they want with the fronts.

daystar KN09103BK

Last edited:

SMP2010

I used a router personally but you could use a table saw, reciprocating saw or even just leave it. The router allows you to ease the inside corner of the spacer to fit over the lip of the mount. The spacer has a flat bottom and mount has a lip.

I have since upgraded to coilovers in the front. I like the adjustability of spring swaps, and shock valvings. If someone was to do this I would suggest do the rears first. Then decide what they want with the fronts.

daystar KN09103BK
Thank you. What about springs, do you happen to know the Moog part number? is it 81085 as mentioned above?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks