• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question regarding wiring on the panel side

enem178

I'm running 6/4 type w cord running from the 803a to a 50a generator inlet. My question is regarding the ground wire. I know the neutral (white) wire connects to the neutral bar. Do I attach the ground (green) wire to the neutral bar also or should I connect to the point where the box is grounded to the grounding rod? Thx

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Inside your service panel?

It will be 4 wire connection as usual.
red + black+ and white to your neutral bar, and Green to your ground bar. Sounds funny, since your ground bar and neutral bar are connected in the service panel.

The generator neutral - ground bar is then disconnected. The generator is making use of the service panel house grounding system. That is why it is important to use 4 wires from the generator to the house. You only want 1 defined ground-neutral connection point.

example:
200 amp service panel
you will have a #6 bare copper ground wire coming from outside from your ground rod array. You will attach your generator ground right next to, or with it. You will see the neutral bar have contact with the ground bar. Other panels might have a single special screw which is installed to make the neutral-ground connection.

Always remember to use the same amperage wire all the way thru your connection.
6 AWG 4C Type W gives you a nice 87 amp limit. So a 6 AWG THHN will be wanted for its 75 amp rating. Your limiting factor will be your 50 dual pole circuit breaker here. :) OH, your 50 amp inlet will also be a limiter too.

Hopefully you have a service panel from one of the larger manufacturer which have a proper generator interlock available.

enem178

Thx for the detailed info! Luckily there is an interlock kit available #K1010

Last edited:

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Inside your service panel?

It will be 4 wire connection as usual.
red + black+ and white to your neutral bar, and Green to your ground bar. Sounds funny, since your ground bar and neutral bar are connected in the service panel.

The generator neutral - ground bar is then disconnected. The generator is making use of the service panel house grounding system. That is why it is important to use 4 wires from the generator to the house. You only want 1 defined ground-neutral connection point.

example:
200 amp service panel
you will have a #6 bare copper ground wire coming from outside from your ground rod array. You will attach your generator ground right next to, or with it. You will see the neutral bar have contact with the ground bar. Other panels might have a single special screw which is installed to make the neutral-ground connection.

Always remember to use the same amperage wire all the way thru your connection.
6 AWG 4C Type W gives you a nice 87 amp limit. So a 6 AWG THHN will be wanted for its 75 amp rating. Your limiting factor will be your 50 dual pole circuit breaker here. :) OH, your 50 amp inlet will also be a limiter too.

Hopefully you have a service panel from one of the larger manufacturer which have a proper generator interlock available.
After reading over this and connecting my MEP 803a to my house service , this picture shows I isolated the neutral bar on my set.

Thank you

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks