• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Temps will drop drastically tomorrow here-What type of engine heater do you use ?

Reworked LMTV

Yes, I decided to not drive it much until I have the weak areas addressed. Believe me, I want to, but I am restraining myself : ) Wes and others have much more on the road experience with these vehicles with temp extremes than do I.

I just rebuilt my battery box with some big improvements to the charging system, at a reasonable cost. I did not use the NOCO p.o.s. battery charger. I will share this build when it warms back up and I can film.

Here are my two principle areas of need. One, at home, which in TN is a minimal need, since temps rarely stay down very low for long. The second need, and the long term need, is promoting easy starts when traveling in areas / states/ countries with extreme lows. Yes, some areas have plug in's, but a lot don't. Ultimately I prefer to take my MTV where hook ups are not available. I cannot stand the thought of a KOA with bratty kids, drunk parents, and small areas. This means that an expensive diesel Webasto hydronic system might be necessary. The Webasto type systems heat the RV and and engine. In the recent past, copies of RV disel heaters units have popped up, but none have the manifold for hot water. One guy put his proof of concept on the web with a custom manifold. Still others have used EGR cooler tubes off diesels. The proof of concept have been done. It works. Safety controls still need to be developed or copied.

FYI: The OEM military diesel heaters that I have seen are not cheap either, and not common. I believe some are made by Webasto as well.
You do not need to leave it plugged in all the time. Most of us didnt want the power meter to spin like a top at 1000watts pulling power like crazy.

You use a timer and the block heater comes on 2 hours before you intend to start your vehicle.

You apparently do not use your vehicle at all as you have stated that you had only driven it about 10mi since you have owned it. Your truck can sit during the winter with no issue. As long as you have good batteries it should start just fine with what we see here in TN. If you are worried about your batteries install a pad heater for them that pulls like 25watts to keep them warm. Other than that the truck is equipped with ether start for cold weather starting. Ensure your coolant is rated to handle the proper temperatures you intend to expect

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
If you are going into extreme cold then the best method is to leave the truck running. Mine would run for 2 or 3 weeks straight at times.

Or keep some of the starter logs handy in case you have to build a fire under the truck. Some of us have had to do that a bunch.

A good fuel system in order will start up just fine in cold weather. Increased battery size such as an 8D's as well as some solargizers will.be fine.

If you are going to be out and about carrying a military generator such as an 831 they do have a slave port to jump off a truck and or charge your batteries

Keep cans of ether and 911 additive handy or kerosene.

Since you will have a spare fuel can handy heating the fuel and being able to direct suction off of a can will allow you to start the truck and get it warm before pulling off its own fuel system as a last resort. The warm fuel is easier to ignite. However cold fuel has a hotter btu

The m915 series trucks had a fuel heater that worked off the coolant circulation

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
For what it's worth, I only plug the wife's CRD into a timer and have it start warming up for about 4hrs before she's going to drive it. There's simply no need to keep it plugged in 24-7 unless you're going to be driving it often. Just plan on plugging it in a few hours before use. 1kw elements will run up the powerbill in a hurry left on all the time. Also, if you use a timer like me, make sure it's rated for the draw.

Reworked LMTV

How do you do the starter log technique without burning down the whole vehicle? Maybe I am missing something.
If you are going into extreme cold then the best method is to leave the truck running. Mine would run for 2 or 3 weeks straight at times.

Or keep some of the starter logs handy in case you have to build a fire under the truck. Some of us have had to do that a bunch.

A good fuel system in order will start up just fine in cold weather. Increased battery size such as an 8D's as well as some solargizers will.be fine.

If you are going to be out and about carrying a military generator such as an 831 they do have a slave port to jump off a truck and or charge your batteries

Keep cans of ether and 911 additive handy or kerosene.

Since you will have a spare fuel can handy heating the fuel and being able to direct suction off of a can will allow you to start the truck and get it warm before pulling off its own fuel system as a last resort. The warm fuel is easier to ignite. However cold fuel has a hotter btu

The m915 series trucks had a fuel heater that worked off the coolant circulation

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How do you do the starter log technique without burning down the whole vehicle? Maybe I am missing something.
Back in the day we would use 2 metal trash can lids . Put 1 upside dowm put what your burning in get it burning slide it under the oil pan if your material wants to flame up at times slide the other lid part way over the bottom lid to keep flames from reaching truck . But better to just get a good bed of coals going before sliding it under truck

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Back in the day we would use 2 metal trash can lids . Put 1 upside dowm put what your burning in get it burning slide it under the oil pan if your material wants to flame up at times slide the other lid part way over the bottom lid to keep flames from reaching truck . But better to just get a good bed of coals going before sliding it under truck
Now adays you can pick up these little 35000 btu propane rorpedo blower heaters and just tilt it back just a little to point up towards the pan and in just a few minutes its all warm.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Now adays you can pick up these little 35000 btu propane rorpedo blower heaters and just tilt it back just a little to point up towards the pan and in just a few minutes its all warm.
If you are carrying one of those off the grid with you for camping then probably a little overkill on your camping supplies

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are carrying one of those off the grid with you for camping then probably a little overkill on your camping supplies
The one i have is maybe 18 inches long and useing the little coleman bottles doesnt take up much room and with the inline thermostat it doest use as much fuel as you would think.But i wouldnt carry it with me unless i was going to encounter harsh weather for the truck or me!

Ronmar

Yep, they make small diesel/kerosene versions of those heaters as well but they require some power to run the blower. I have used a propane weed burner. The good thing about those is they are very throttlable and easy to position without crawling under the truck...

Nomadic

On Ice Road Truckers, Lisa Kelly would leave the truck running and says that is normal practice in temperatures they experience up there.

6ZJ7HKL2PHV6ZBHIKPFO5Q7LJ4.jpg

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Am I understanding you correctly:

- Your rig was left running, at idle, for 2-3 weeks straight?
"In places like Alaska and the Arctic, drivers must leave their rigs running for the entire ice road season that lasts about 10 weeks. If they didn’t, engines would freeze solid within a couple of hours. With temps as cold as 70-below, a driver stranded in a remote area risks freezing to death without heat inside the cab."

Reworked LMTV

Fortunately the Artic isn't on my bucket list :smile:. "Um yes, I'd like to order a double whale blubber burger with extra tarter sauce... oh and some polar bear nuggets with buffalo dippn sauce"

"In places like Alaska and the Arctic, drivers must leave their rigs running for the entire ice road season that lasts about 10 weeks. If they didn’t, engines would freeze solid within a couple of hours. With temps as cold as 70-below, a driver stranded in a remote area risks freezing to death without heat inside the cab."

Another Ahab

Fortunately the Artic isn't on my bucket list . "Um yes, I'd like to order a double whale blubber burger with extra tarter sauce... oh and some polar bear nuggets with buffalo dippn sauce"
I had a buddy (now deceased), who spent 2 years up in Canada teaching English among the Inuit, village to village.

He told me the food delicacy up there were the fly maggots they'd pick out of the backs of their Caribou. The maggots were burrowed in there along their spines.

That was the choicest treat on the menu! He liked 'em!! But he also admitted that it took him a while...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks