• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Temps will drop drastically tomorrow here-What type of engine heater do you use ?

Reworked LMTV

Now that is sick.
I had a buddy (now deceased), who spent 2 years up in Canada teaching English among the Inuit, village to village.

He told me the food delicacy up there were the fly maggots they'd pick out of the backs of their Caribou. The maggots were burrowed in there along their spines.

That was the choicest treat on the menu! He liked 'em!! But he also admitted that it took him a while...

fasttruck

As post 23 suggests if you are going to Alaska in the winter you need everything: water, oil and fuel heaters or treatments. One reason M35A2s drain all their oil into the pan is the Army had a heater to keep the oil from freezing. Check the LO: special lubricants are required for artic conditions. If you are staying in TN a water heater should get you by if you have a place to plug it in. Gas fired auxiliary heaters or an APU will get you going if you can't plug in. Put Howe's or some other fuel additive in fuel to keep it from gelling in cold weather or get a Fox hot water fuel heater like a M915 has to heat the fuel. The need for fuel additives will depend on the quality of your fuel. The Army issues JP4 which is essentially kerosene in cold climes.

Reworked LMTV

https://youtu.be/n8gDN_6esfs

You may want to look at this video. Diesel 911 is questionable.

If you are going into extreme cold then the best method is to leave the truck running. Mine would run for 2 or 3 weeks straight at times.

Or keep some of the starter logs handy in case you have to build a fire under the truck. Some of us have had to do that a bunch.

A good fuel system in order will start up just fine in cold weather. Increased battery size such as an 8D's as well as some solargizers will.be fine.

If you are going to be out and about carrying a military generator such as an 831 they do have a slave port to jump off a truck and or charge your batteries

Keep cans of ether and 911 additive handy or kerosene.

Since you will have a spare fuel can handy heating the fuel and being able to direct suction off of a can will allow you to start the truck and get it warm before pulling off its own fuel system as a last resort. The warm fuel is easier to ignite. However cold fuel has a hotter btu

The m915 series trucks had a fuel heater that worked off the coolant circulation

Last edited:

Reworked LMTV

Take a look at video above. You might find it interesting.
As post 23 suggests if you are going to Alaska in the winter you need everything: water, oil and fuel heaters or treatments. One reason M35A2s drain all their oil into the pan is the Army had a heater to keep the oil from freezing. Check the LO: special lubricants are required for artic conditions. If you are staying in TN a water heater should get you by if you have a place to plug it in. Gas fired auxiliary heaters or an APU will get you going if you can't plug in. Put Howe's or some other fuel additive in fuel to keep it from gelling in cold weather or get a Fox hot water fuel heater like a M915 has to heat the fuel. The need for fuel additives will depend on the quality of your fuel. The Army issues JP4 which is essentially kerosene in cold climes.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
https://youtu.be/n8gDN_6esfs

You may want to look at this video. Diesel 911 is questionable.
911 did what it was designed to do. It will not keep fuel from gelling from temp. The bottle says just that, but it will ungel the fuel as its designed to do. Such as a frozen fuel filter, remove and add 911 then reinstall. It does get it flowing again. This is for people who put the wrong diesel type in their tanks

Second off. He doesn't state what #2 diesel hes using. Winter or summer. Probably summer per the rv part of the video. Summer #2 will gel pretty high. In a climate that is expecting cold you have a choice of #2, 50/50, and #1. You put in your tank what the weather is forecasted to be so you are prepared. I lived on the highline of Montana for 8 yrs. I got tired of the total months of below zero temps.

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I will add that if that is summer blend then at -20 below in his freezer. Cloud point for winter # 2 is around 30 degrees with a gel of around 12 to 15 degrees. Winter # 1 has a cloud temp of -40. The CFPP is what you really want to be concerned with. If you are in sub zero and running #2 diesel even winter blend then that is just your own fault.

Reworked LMTV

I've worked in WY and traveled extensively through MT. Very familiar. In fact, that is exactly where I plan to revisit. Of course Winter #1 is best for polar regions. Not available everywhere, but yeah. For my money, I will use the Hot Shot winterizer. I do like PS Dieselkeen for summer, but PS 911 did not work for me on my tractor, much like other comments on that video. Maybe it has worked for you and that's great. All situations are not created equal. "Ounce of Hot Shot prevention, equals a gallon of 911 and heated garage cure"

I will add that if that is summer blend then at -20 below in his freezer. Cloud point for winter # 2 is around 30 degrees with a gel of around 12 to 15 degrees. Winter # 1 has a cloud temp of -40. The CFPP is what you really want to be concerned with. If you are in sub zero and running #2 diesel even winter blend then that is just your own fault.

Another Ahab

I had a buddy (now deceased), who spent 2 years up in Canada teaching English among the Inuit, village to village.

He told me the food delicacy up there were the fly maggots they'd pick out of the backs of their Caribou. The maggots were burrowed in there along their spines.

That was the choicest treat on the menu! He liked 'em!! But he also admitted that it took him a while...
Now that is sick.
Apparently they were the size of your thumb. Something like horsefly larvae, I guess.

Yum! :mrgreen:

Reworked LMTV

[h=1]HOTSHOTS DIESEL WINTER ANTI-GEL[/h][FONT=&quot]"We run a 2013 Volvo 780 out of montana. 40 below is common in the winter. Great product!!"[/FONT]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks