• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel lne from lift pump replacement

Fuel line from lift pump replacement

Hey all. Just got back into owning a CUCV (85 M1008). I have to replace the lift pump, which in itself wasn't a big deal. It became more of a hassle when the hard line that screws into the lift pump decided it wants to stay a part of the lift pump. So I now need to replace that hardline as well. The question I have is how have you all replaced it, have you had to take off the air filter assembly as well. I seems to be to ungainly to takeout without removing the assembly above it.

Last edited:

cucvrus

I recall taking off the right alternator and removing a bolt and clamp on the front of the block. It will come out from under the intake. Do you have another preformed hard line?

cucvrus

I just don't recall having to remove the intake to change this line. I know it was a challenge but I done it on a plow truck a few years back and I done it outside during winter season.

Barrman

I also have done it with the intake still on. It wasn't pretty, but it can be done. Maybe some slight bending that will need to be returned to original getting the new one in. It has been a few years. Just cut the old one to get it out.

So I Had someone float me an idea that I think may be a better idea than replacing the whole fuel line. I plan on cutting the line (see pic #1 where my finger is). Putting a flare in the old line and putting some new line with a flare from there to the lift pump and use 2 clamps and about 4-6 inches of rubber fuel hose to bridge the gap. Anybody have an opinion which flare would be best for this application (Pic 2 is the flare by the fuel filter. And last but not least does anybody have a source for the plastic/rubber piece that goes between the alternator and block on the passenger side to keep it lined up with the pulleys?

Attachments

cucvrus

Did you remove the upper Gen 2 bracket when you were trying to get the complete fuel line out? And I am not sure what plastic/rubber piece you are referring to.
I would NOT use a rubber hose. I would locate a replacement steel line. Used is fine or bend one to fit. Was that flare nut chewed up and stripped like that when you started? I found that Craftsman/Generic flare nut wrenches are know for stripping tight flare nuts. I use Snap -On. I had the lessor brands open up and strip flare nuts in the past. I was able to get a few stripped ones off with use of metric Snap - On flare nut wrenches that were close to the size. I know you are past that now. I could look and see if I have a stock fuel line. But you said opinions. My opinion do it right. Replace the steel line. Have a Great Day.

cucvrus

I received your PM. I am going out to the field to look for a fuel line. Also the Gen 2 block to alternator spacer is a common missing piece. I will see if I have one. I make them from pipe nipples and just cut them to length. I made a few recently. If it fell while you were working onit. Look carefully in the sway bar webbing at the frame on the right side. I found a few in that area on trucks that I bought. They had the bracket but also a spare laying in there. Good Luck. I will report back.

cucvrus

No such Luck. I went out and looked 3 engines and no fuel line. All my parts engines have the heads removed thus the fuel line. And I have replaced a few so I may have used them up. I am sure someone here would have an extra one. The spacer is an easy fix. Black steel pipe nipple cut to length. Good Luck. Be Safe.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks