• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Friendly Reminder

Tailwheel

Check/replace/remove your oil cooler hoses if you still have them. There was a recall on these hoses at one point. I was driving to a very important doctors appointment this morning when my oil light illuminated and was accompanied by oil spewing up the windshield. By the time I could pull off the side of the road I had lost all 7 quarts. It happened in about 8-10 seconds. The entire left side of my truck was covered in oil and absolutely everything under the hood on the drivers side is soaked from the radiator to the firewall. I called a flatbed to take it to my house and when I got home I spent about 2 hours cleaning the oil up and trying to find the cause (I thought the block broke). I then put 7 quarts in the engine and fired it up to find the leak. Sure enough it was a series of tiny pinholes that were not visible to the naked eye but opened up as soon as the oil pressure hit them. An INCREDIBLE amount of oil spewed out in the 5 seconds I had the truck idling, around a quart. I've never seen a rubber hose leak this much oil through a pin hole, I can't imagine what it was doing when I was applying throttle while driving earlier.

I hope I avoided engine damage by immediately pulling over and shutting down. Fortunately I was in a situation where I was able to do that. By the time I got shut down, I kid you not, there was ZERO oil left. It took a full 7 quarts to get it back to the FULL line on the dipstick.

Tailwheel

Oily Truck.JPG
This is after 2 washes with de-greaser and Dawn dish soap. Its going to be awhile before the oil works its way out of the paint. At least is won't rust on me for a little while longer.

Tailwheel

Does anyone happen to know the thread for the oil cooler lines in the block and where they attach to the hard lines on the radiator? I'm trying to source AN adapters but each time I search this topic I'm getting conflicting results. I'm reading that the block holes are threaded to either 3/4" or 1/2" NPT and the oil cooler hard lines have female 1/2" or 3/8" NPT. I'm not in a position to go pull the lines and I would like to get parts ordered tonight if possible. Thanks.

Tailwheel

Does anyone happen to know the thread for the oil cooler lines in the block and where they attach to the hard lines on the radiator? I'm trying to source AN adapters but each time I search this topic I'm getting conflicting results. I'm reading that the block holes are threaded to either 3/4" or 1/2" NPT and the oil cooler hard lines have female 1/2" or 3/8" NPT. I'm not in a position to go pull the lines and I would like to get parts ordered tonight if possible. Thanks.
Nevermind, found this:

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?96746-Custom-Oil-Cooler-lines-pics-info/page2

Good write-up. I will be doing this in a few days when the parts show up.

MarcusOReallyus

This is after 2 washes with de-greaser and Dawn dish soap. Its going to be awhile before the oil works its way out of the paint. At least is won't rust on me for a little while longer.
Hey, a leaking front main seal is the best rust preventer ever invented! :mrgreen:

Thanks for the heads-up on this! :beer:

Tailwheel

Hey, a leaking front main seal is the best rust preventer ever invented! :mrgreen:

Thanks for the heads-up on this! :beer:
As an additional note, I had my inner fender removed because I took it out last week to trim my fenders and get ready for my new fender install (I got some neat racing fenders from ADV to fit 40's without any lift).. Everything was clean and dry. I think what caused this was the cold temps. It was below freezing and I believe the congealed oil created so much pressure in the old hoses that it forced its way out through a bunch of pin holes. I'm not sure if letting the truck warm up more before driving would have helped. Anyway, I've got all the AN stuff ordered, should be here in a few days and I should never have to worry about this happening again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks