• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Different turrets

BLK HMMWV

I got to agree with RWH above.
But with that said I'm guilty of doing some odd stuff to mine.
At some point your going to end up selling your rig.
When that time comes your going to be trying to sell it to 2 types of people.
Those that want to restore it and those that don't.
You will never get all the sweat equity out of it you put into it but you may sell it faster and appeal to more buyers the more you keep it to
original spec's.
Have fun with it , no matter the road you choose to take it down.

TOM R

Well I have time tools and ability, so making a $400 brand new roof made of good real steel work vs a $1500+ roof , that's alot of $ I can spend on other parts, I was hoping from what I read on the previous page that there was in fact a bearing adapter to bolt right to the roof, guess I'll have to make an adapter when I get to that point or build a bearing support

Trying to ore figure out as much as I can while I wait for warmer weather :)

Reactions: OBX

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I have time tools and ability, so making a $400 brand new roof made of good real steel work vs a $1500+ roof , that's alot of $ I can spend on other parts, I was hoping from what I read on the previous page that there was in fact a bearing adapter to bolt right to the roof, guess I'll have to make an adapter when I get to that point or build a bearing support

Trying to ore figure out as much as I can while I wait for warmer weather :)
The adapter you speak of is called a slewing Ring, they are about $1500 and used on late style aluminum roof.

TOM R

I moved a few things enough to get a few measurements, the opening in the roof looks just shy of 44", the overall diameter of the turret I have is 44" +/-

I know the bearing is smaller than the hole so I didn't dig it out to measure

Does anyone by chance have a cad drawing of the turret bearing support, that's how I built the luverne brush guard

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an 1114 roof I'm going to cut to fit my 998, I have the

stamped cat ear turret with 2 piece matching hatch, silver bearing, lock ring, curved pieces to bolt the bearing down, manual lock this was all a matching set from another vehicle

Also have the gunners strap with mount brackets

I have no bearing support and will need to make one to fit the roof when I do my slant conversion

Everything is packed away right now
So...are you going to narrow the roof to fit ?

TOM R

So...are you going to narrow the roof to fit ?
Yes, once set in place I will take measurements and slice the roof front to back on each side out past the roof mounts ,remove the excess material and reweld, this sounds alot more labor intensive than it is,

I will then install the hard top b pillars and the hard doors and fabricate the upper door lip , waiting for weather to get warm at this point.

I figure to do the entire slant conversion and all fan maybe 2 weeks probably less depending on my motivation.

I have seen where others have sliced the seam in the middle of the roof to narrow the roof but that moves the roof mounts and makes the turret hole oval.

This roof is heavy so probably important to use the factory mounts lol

TOM R

I got it new in crate for a few hundred, I can fab steel so not a big deal to me ,I knew I would need to modify it, I'll post a step by step thread here when I get to it

Viggiano

Your profile needs to include your city and state.

If you are in Washington DC, feel free to drive to NYC and see my fully operational early turret.

If you're in Washington State, it might be a long drive.

Best,

T
Where are you located? I’m on Long Island

Mk23

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What are you needing? I sell and assemble late model turret along with GPK,OGPK and MCTAGS
I just did the EUC on this one today. So it's gonna be a min before I have it. Was just trying to learn the ins and outs of the later style turrets. My GMV I built on a 1025 roof and A2 black bearing. So the RevB trucks are all new to me. Any info for how things fit would be appreciated.

I see on FB, you have a 1/4" thick repro listed in black too.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just did the EUC on this one today. So it's gonna be a min before I have it. Was just trying to learn the ins and outs of the later style turrets. My GMV I built on a 1025 roof and A2 black bearing. So the RevB trucks are all new to me. Any info for how things fit would be appreciated.

I see on FB, you have a 1/4" thick repro listed in black too.
Does anyone have some inside/outside or part pics for later turret setup? Looking for info on a RevB setup for m1151A1 trucks...
i just realized that this thread you created some time ago has all the information you might ever need…its quite informative

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks