• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternator Charging issue

Reworked LMTV

Your cables are likely original. You may want to consider replacing these. I learned recently that, while the connector your bolt on with looks fine, underneath you can have destroyed wire where the connector meets the wire. I learned this when I cut through a connector with a cut off wheel. Had I not done this, i would have assumed everything was ok, when in fact this would likely cause a voltage drop / resistance. The problem with wire that age is that moisture wicks up and destroys the silver or zinc coating. Electrolysis does not help either. This leaves the copper to oxidize and turn a very dull color. Now the connection from the connector to the wire is shot. You can't wire brush it either.

No doubt that this is thick wire, but since the runs are really short, it should not cost that much. The connectors can be had on Amazon. You will need the hammer crimper, but they are cheap.
I am pretty sure that it is wired correctly in that I labelled the wires before I relocated the box. That said, I have wired it opposite to what it is now to ensure completeness and the engine wouldn't start..,View attachment 782828
I will make a temp jumper from the 24v on the polarity box to the ENG terminal this weekend. That is a great suggestion! Thanks.

DigDirt

Your cables are likely original. You may want to consider replacing these. I learned recently that, while the connector your bolt on with looks fine, underneath you can have destroyed wire where the connector meets the wire. I learned this when I cut through a connector with a cut off wheel. Had I not done this, i would have assumed everything was ok, when in fact this would likely cause a voltage drop / resistance. The problem with wire that age is that moisture wicks up and destroys the silver or zinc coating. Electrolysis does not help either. This leaves the copper to oxidize and turn a very dull color. Now the connection from the connector to the wire is shot. You can't wire brush it either.
No doubt that this is thick wire, but since the runs are really short, it should not cost that much. The connectors can be had on Amazon. You will need the hammer crimper, but they are cheap.
You make a great point! The alternator cables to the reverse polarity box are the only ones that I haven't changed out yet and I did reroute them when I changed the location of the reverse polarity box. I'll give that a whirl tomorrow. All that said, the regulator still comes up bad during trouble shooting...ie: voltage to the exciter wire but not to the regulator. At the very least I've changed out 20+ year cables ;)

DigDirt

Update: changed out the alternator and voltage regulator and batteries are charging properly again. Gotta say the voltage regulator going out right after I changed the location of the reverse polarity box, is a conundrum... coincidence or cause?? Even though the troubleshooting was a PITA, it lead to the cause even in spite of me not trusting the DX! I learned a lot and now have all new cables :). I appreciate everyone's help and input.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks