• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Solar trickle Charger

enem178

Anyone have a part# or recommendation for a solar trickle charger I can use to keep the batteries on the 803 charged while not in use? I know some had panels installed but I wasn’t so lucky. Also does it HAVE to be a 24v charger or can I use a 12v charger hooked up to one battery and charge both? Thx

csheath

I bought an ALEKO 20W Monocrystalline Solar Panel 24 Volt Output off eBay to use on mine. The original charge controller died and I now have it connected direct.

So far it is working okay but not having a charge controller means I have to top up the batteries with distilled water every now and then. I am planning to put a charge controller back on it one day but haven't taken the time to shop for a good one. 20W is probably borderline for running without a controller. I tried the same thing with a 100w 12v panel and ruined a group 24 deep cycle battery.

My unit had the solar panel and charge controller on it when I bought it. The charge controller was creating a parasitic draw and the generator sits under my shed so it didn't get any sun. The panel that came on it was glued on and efforts to get it off were not successful.

Bmxenbrett

If you have to remember to put water in them why even bother with the solar. Just charge them every other month with running the set or putting a 120v charger on them.

csheath

If you have to remember to put water in them why even bother with the solar. Just charge them every other month with running the set or putting a 120v charger on them.
I run the unit under load monthly.

It's been my experience that keeping a trickle charge with a solar panel results in longer lasting batteries. I have only topped up the batteries once since wiring direct to the panel and the fluid wasn't below the plates when I did. They probably weren't filled to the bottom of the holes when I bought them. It's just good maintenance practice to check them periodically.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone have a part# or recommendation for a solar trickle charger I can use to keep the batteries on the 803 charged while not in use? I know some had panels installed but I wasn’t so lucky. Also does it HAVE to be a 24v charger or can I use a 12v charger hooked up to one battery and charge both? Thx
This topic has been discussed many times.
A simple search would have brought up threads with answers to your questions.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks