• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Big Tire 5-ton

derekdraughon

I want to run bigger tires on my 5tun - What is the best/most affordable source for them?

What are most of you guys with the big super single looking tires running?

Iceman3005

Plan on spending $4000-$5000 dollars buy the time it's all said and done. Unless you buy the really crappy tires. I have about $3500 into mine right now.5944888091.jpgFB_IMG_1568585768823.jpgFB_IMG_1568585764136.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

SCM35A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As stated above, be prepard to spend some money!! Hit up Wes-(simp5782) on here & see what he has as for tires.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's three choices for sizes.

14.00s are the super single that the military used on the 5tons. They measure out at 48" or so tall.

16.00's are what were used on HEMTTs. They require a different offset wheel to avoid rubbing up front, and can still hit the bed if you really try. They rob bottom end power, but add to top speed. These measure out about 53".

395's are what is currently used on the LMTV platform. They measure out at 45".

You can do better than the prices mentioned above.

Brutacus

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 16.00R20's on Hemtt rims will clear the front of an M818 (M809 series) without rubbing as long as you set your turning stops correctly. I've gotten a few spares from Wes, he's a good person to deal with.

HPIM2329.jpg

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 16.00R20's on Hemtt rims will clear the front of an M818 (M809 series) without rubbing as long as you set your turning stops correctly. I've gotten a few spares from Wes, he's a good person to deal with.

View attachment 782873
Yes, on HEMTT rims. On 5ton combat rims they rub. HEMTT rims are really the only viable option with the 16.00's. This adds weight and cost.

That said, 16.00's are still my first choice unless bottom end acceleration is an issue.

AZORRAT

Here’s my experience. Go Goodyear AT2A as they don’t dry rot nearly as quick as Michelin’s if at all. Do not do run-flats, one of my 395 Michelin’s with run-flats weighs as much as two of my 1600r20 Goodyear’s. And prepare for a battle to change them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Here’s my experience. Go Goodyear AT2A as they don’t dry rot nearly as quick as Michelin’s if at all. Do not do run-flats, one of my 395 Michelin’s with run-flats weighs as much as two of my 1600r20 Goodyear’s. And prepare for a battle to change them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There are runflats available now for around 50 to $75 that weigh around 25lbs each. Mostly sold on ebay.

Goodyear AT2s tend to eggshape out. Finding many AT2s in 1600s is not common. Goodyear AT3s last a decent while and hold up to wear better than the Michelins.

We have remolded 16.00s that have 2019 date codes for not much more than a NOS 16.00 Michelin

AZORRAT

There are runflats available now for around 50 to $75 that weigh around 25lbs each. Mostly sold on ebay.

Goodyear AT2s tend to eggshape out. Finding many AT2s in 1600s is not common. Goodyear AT3s last a decent while and hold up to wear better than the Michelins.

We have remolded 16.00s that have 2019 date codes for not much more than a NOS 16.00 Michelin
Well that stinks because I literally just finished installing my last 1600r20 AT2 about twenty minutes ago and honestly I would prefer Runflats as it got me home last week but didn’t want to hassle with the heavy a$$ things lol.

I tried searching for them on eBay and didn’t find them. What are they listed under?

I guess we will see how the AT2s last soon. My Michelin’s are almost the same date code as these but my Michelin’s are cracking already and I punctured a sidewall last week.

Military trucks are the heaviest hard to work on stinky gas guzzling pain in the ass vehicle in the world, and I love them so much!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks