• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Frequency meter erratic

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you checked the connections from the gauge, back through the machine to their source? A loose connection can cause intermittent readings. If your meter reads fine, and you don't hear the machine varying its RPM... we look at connections, or the gauge itself. Have you deoxidized the switches and connections in the machine? Oxidation can cause intermittent readings more often than loose connections.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like the Freq Meter is a 200 micro amp AC current meter. So at 60 hz it looks like the current from transducer should be 100 microamps.

The -24 TM has test procedures for the transducer and the meter.

Last edited:

csheath

My frequency gauge didn't read at all and my power and voltage gauge were inaccurate. I made some adapter plates and converted to digital meters.

The square combination meter for total voltage and Hz reads 5 volts low but the Hz matches exactly with my Fluke. All I had to do on it was attach the leads from the old voltage gauge to the new combination meter.

The volt amp meters I put on L1 and L3 seem to be accurate for both volts and current. The whole thing can be done for under $30 and some time and wiring.

IMG_1421.JPG

Last edited:

Ray70

They also make a blue digital Hz gage in the same small package size as your V / Current meters. I just bought some for about $7 each. You can also get cheap round analog 90mm gages on ebay from a place in china. Direct read Hz for $12 and 300V AC for about $6. They are pretty chincy plastic, but they work and fit right into the original holes.

Guyfang

Staff member
My MEP 803a has an erratic. Frequency meter. My Fluke meter reads steady freq. So what is causing the analog meter on the panel to be erratic?

Please define "erratic". Movement full scale left then right and so on? Two three hertz back and forth? High or low amplitude? Regular as clock work? It helps to know. Is the engine surging any, in time to the motions?

Guyfang

Staff member
It bounces from 60 to 80 and sometimes down to zero. Its not a steady fluctuation. Sometimes it stays at 60 for about 5 seconds.
I would take the meter apart. That kind of thing sounds like a tiny wire is loose or broken off in the meter. AND YES, you can take them apart and fix them. Not often, I admit. But every once in a while.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks