• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

growler differentials, CV axles, knuckles

jesusgatos

Wondering if anyone can tell me what drivetrain parts the growlers use. Have been able to ID the engine, trans, and transfer case, but can't find anything about the differential, CV's, or knuckles/hubs, except for one post on forum that suggested all those parts were carried over from M151, and another post that said that was incorrect.

jesusgatos

Okay thanks for confirming that. Don't know anything about the old mutts, but looks like the diffs are unique to that platform? Read about noise and low oil capacity, but what are they comparable to strength-wise? More/less fragile than early CJ parts? Looking over the growlers, chassis are garbage, but like the drivetrain. Sounds like might want to scrap the axles though, are those parts worth anything to collectors?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
MUTTs were designed in the late 1950s and the powertrain did not change. Growlers were designed 50 years later. Sure they used off the shelf components available currently but not rebuilt M151 parts.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The information about the differentials, halfshafts etc has not been shared on SteelSoldiers yet.

Austringer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry about that, i was thinking of the m151 clones produced during the 1990s. Forgot about the newer growlers being released. Sorry for the confusion.

Cutch

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've already broken two CV axles in relatively light off-roading. I've come across a company called Constant Velocity of Ocala (cvaxles.com) that could possibly help remake.

jesusgatos

That's disappointing. Would recommend contacting RCV (rcvperformance.com), they make the some of the highest quality aftermarket CV's available, much better than anything resembling stock/modified parts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks