• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002, 003; gen head paint indication of burn out?

dependable

If paint is pealed off gen head, is that an indication it was over heated?

None of the ones I have had had pealing paint, so I was wondering if this would be a red flag on a generator for sale, that could not be tested before bought.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seen many with peeling paint.

Never from overheating.

Post a picture.

Last edited:

Chainbreaker

Its fairly typical to see patches flaked off and generally does not affect the performance of the unit unless things start to rust badly over time. The CARC paint used is somewhat brittle and can easily flake off if any moisture is able to get beneath it due to pin holes or inadequate surface preparation prior to painting. It's farily easy to touch up with a rattle can though.

jamawieb

It's very common for the paint to be flaking on the head. It doesn't peel on the other surfaces for some reason. But I've dealt with 100's of units with the paint peeling and all performed perfect.

dependable

Thanks for the replies. I just remember a thread where someone put a lot of work into a mobile trailer w custom fuel tank & all, got a lot of help & put a lot of effort into repair, only to end up parting it when he finally figured out the gen head was cooked. His gen head looked just like the one on unit in question.

Chainbreaker

Judging by his comments is posts #1 & #3 I don't think he has bought it yet & is trying to determine if he should.

Guyfang

Staff member
I think a lot of the paint pealing is due to not treating the bare metal properly before applying the army green coating. Seen lots of pealing on army gen sets. if I could see burn marks, that would scare me away.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks