• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Tank Diverter Selector Valve

rtadams89

I have a Fuel Tank Diverter Selector Valve (NSN 2910-00-977-5495) from a 5 ton that is stuck in one position. Any recommendation on getting it unstuck? Are rebuild kits for this thing available or do I have to buy a replacement?

rtadams89

Took a look at that thread and disassembled my valve. Nothing seems wrong, even the o-rings look good. Not sure why it was stuck, but it moves freely now that I've put it back together, so hopefully it stays that way.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
being of a tapered brass design, it may have been tapped with a hammer at some point, or some other tool dropped on it, or even a boot heel. Or dropped on its head. Or easier still, with the lack of sulphur and other lubes in today's fuel, any taper valve can seize just by pushing down on it while turning it. Did that once and learned from it.

Last edited:

rtadams89

Well my issue returned and worse than ever now. To get the valve out this time I had to thread a slide hammer into the retaining bolt hole on the top of the valve handle and gently tap it up and out. Still looks clean, no scratches, no debris, no idea why it gets stuck. If I just drop the valve core into the body and let it settle in for a few seconds, it becomes stuck. Running my finger around the inside of the valve body I don't feel any burs or other issues.

I gotta wonder, how is this thing not expected to get stuck? Just like a drill/mill/lathe tooling with an R8/Jacobs/Morse taper, it seems like this thing would bind up by design.

Any ideas for how to keep this thing working or is it time for me to just replace it?

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They CAN bind up by design, just about all taper valves can. You certainly can try replacing it .. but as I mentioned prior, I wouldn't replace it until trying fuel lubricants . 7 of my trucks use these valves and have no problem with them sticking (except for the one mishap mentioned) However, they all have gotten a steady diet of lubes in the fuel since 2008 when low-sulphur became mandated here .. Did you try coating it with vegetable oil or dextron when you reassembled it? VO is heavy and would take awhile before diesel could completely wash it from the entire taper .. It also helps to apply a slight UPWARD pressure when operating these levers .. I wouldn't be surprised if there was ever a PM-Monthly entry about them

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you cleaned/polished both sides? Is yours discolored at all?

rtadams89

I put Optilube XP with my diesel. I'll try cleaning it again with some brake klean and then coating with vegetable oil. I removed and polished the core; the outer portion is installed in a non-standard and hard to get to spot, so I have not polished it. Neither looked discolored or scratched.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’ve used scotch-bride on a wooden dowel spun with a drill To clean the valve body still mounted in the truck. Also used carb and choke cleaner to devarnish.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks