• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air dryer

FloridaAKM

I changed mine out to the one that Suprman was selling & it works great now. The OEM one was full of grey goop & water, as much as I wanted to believe that it was working, it was like a stopped up toilet; just causing more problems with every use.

Here is the requested picture of the Haldex dryer I got from Suprman a year or so ago. It installed & worked very well.Haldex Air Dryer Install II.jpgI couldn't get a sideways picture like you did, but this will have to do. ;-)

Last edited:

SCM35A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gotcha, I dropped the ball on this one lol. I set the seller who had them a message asking if he could get more or at least one more. Thanks for the links too Wes.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like it
It was cheap,easy to service, holes on frame lined up.
On fmtv the flexible steel hose won't reach just take it off on other side and reroute.
The unloader on fmtv is 1/8 and on the skf it's a 1/4 so you need a adapter other than that easy to swap.
Did I say I watched u tube and these are super easy to service.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In defense of the original dryers, they work. You just have to service them. Some of our trucks are 25 years old or more and probably have not had the air dryer serviced but a few times in their lives. Once we new owners actually service them, they are good for a long time.

Being coalescing type filters, they will get some nasty looking stuff in them. The newer dryers have the advantage of ease of service, just swap the cartridge, and you don't have to cringe at what you see inside.

Suggestion, if none of the tanks have water in them when you drain them, and the air dryer discharges it's load of gunk occasionally(messing up your driveway, etc) then all is well.

IMHO, much of the drive toward the new dryers results from surplus air dryer inventory needing to be sold by our vendors.

Reworked LMTV

Interesting. I use my old one for my CNC plasma cutter table. Cleaned out the guts. Filled with desiccant. Bingo, free dryer.

In defense of the original dryers, they work. You just have to service them. Some of our trucks are 25 years old or more and probably have not had the air dryer serviced but a few times in their lives. Once we new owners actually service them, they are good for a long time.

Being coalescing type filters, they will get some nasty looking stuff in them. The newer dryers have the advantage of ease of service, just swap the cartridge, and you don't have to cringe at what you see inside.

Suggestion, if none of the tanks have water in them when you drain them, and the air dryer discharges it's load of gunk occasionally(messing up your driveway, etc) then all is well.

IMHO, much of the drive toward the new dryers results from surplus air dryer inventory needing to be sold by our vendors.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The old one you have to totally remove from truck to service
The new one can be serviced completely without having to remove it.

FloridaAKM

Well, I kept the old one & the brackets, so if I need to put it on the Deuce or something, just rebuild & install. Everytime I throw something away, I have to go buy it new next week. Sort of a plague on me I guess.

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
The old one you have to totally remove from truck to service
The new one can be serviced completely without having to remove it.
Strange, my MTVR has dual driers and one is like the lmtv one and the other is with a cartridge, I was able to rebuild both at the rally when I began having purge issues and the LMTV style was easy to pull the bottom off of

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Elijah now that I think about it you are correct.
Please pardon me getting old and not thinking like a youngster anymore or seeing like one lol.

But those dryers are junk in my opinion!
Glad I removed it and put new technologies on

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Front what I have seen. The tube with fins is a first gen dryer. The pure air plus on the m939 trucks is second gen and the purest type is the 3rd gen. The purest dryer definitely does a better job drying the air than the tube with fins and its alot easier to service. You still want to replace the cartridge every year though. Bendix makes some nice newer spin on cartridge type dryers also. The Haldex connections are usually close to what you already have though.
Will

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks