• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Upcoming downtime - Conversion/Update

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
What: The forum will be going through a software conversion and update.

When:
Tentatively scheduled to start Friday evening 12/7/19, exact time still TBD.

Why: There's several reasons actually. The forum runs on a forum software known as vBulletin. vBulletin used to be the front runner in the forum world. It's been surpassed these days to be honest. And support is starting to dwindle. Also the design of our forum is a bit dated. Remember, our last update (cosmetic) was from 2012. We'll be retaining some of the look and feel. But with a lot of updates.

The software we'll be moving to is XenForo. It will be different in some aspects. But fear not, it shares a lot of the same functionality currently in use. Truth be told, many of the original vB programmers left and form XenForo and refined a lot of the code. So there's a lot of things that the two systems do the same. But XF does things a little more securely, with lower server loads, and now more support. Also there's going to be some neat new features with the software. The most useful will be interactive, the ability to tag members in threads, more robust communications systems, and the like.

What to expect: The forum is quite large. This will take some time. I suspect we'll be working overnight and hope to be back online sometime Sunday. There will not need to be anything done from the memberbase. Your login/password/PMs/exc will all be retained. (As well as your posts) Just please be understanding while we make this transition. Also, like any upgrade/conversion, I'm sure we'll run into issues once we're live. I'll have a "report issue" thread post upgrade where I'll ask everyone to post any issues they find.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We bow respectfully again in your general direction, one - because you know how to do whatever it is you are doing; and two - because you are doing it for that fabulous salary we pay you. [thumbzup]

Cheers

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Back to the top as a simple reminder NOT to freak out if Steelsoldiers isn't available and the reason why.

Pray all goes well Sir with the "upgrade" and appreciate your efforts on our behalf!

CMPPhil

Good luck on transition to new software

Good luck on the transition to new software. Hope it all goes smoothly and with minimal cliches.

Thanks

Cheers Phil

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
We're postponing this upgrade for now, there's a issue with the feedback system. I'm not about to loose everyone's feedback. (Mainly because I don't want y'all coming after me with pitchforks LOL)

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
We're postponing this upgrade for now, there's a issue with the feedback system. I'm not about to loose everyone's feedback. (Mainly because I don't want y'all coming after me with pitchforks LOL)
DAMMIT MAN!!! I just sharpened my pitchfork and bought a new torch!

Guess I'll just go hunt that pesky monster "Franky" again this weekend.:papabear:

CMPPhil

Hi

First, thanks for all the work in doing the conversion. Obviously we will all go through a learning curve to find all the functions.

Cheers Phil

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks