• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Resurrecting 816

Redpawn

So I'm a gluten for punishment or I just can't stand to see good old Iron go to the salvage yard. Probably a little of both. I purchased an 816 that was in a bad way a few months back and I had thought what am I doing I haven't finished my 108 crane yet and now I'm starting on a bigger one. I was trying to sell it but then a sweet deal on about 80% of the missing parts fell in my lap. So I guess now I have two crane projects. It will be a little slow going until I get some cash to find the rest of the missing parts for it. I have one big hurtle cleared at least. Putting the engine back in. Fun fact the engine and transmission weigh in at 2k. My brother inlaw has a small crane on has service truck and it tells you what the weight of what your picking up is.

IMG_20191117_113155.jpgIMG_20191012_152403.jpg

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Wow hats off to you! Years ago I purchased a Yamaha 650 from the 80s with a bunch of parts in boxes; thing was almost mint, but I literally could not stick the thing back together. Finally sold it for a profit.

It takes a special person to put a ripped apart truck back together much less Two!

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
wish you the best of luck , I have put together some projects I was glad that I did, and some projects I shoulda just parted out . your truck looks very clean and we all know how well-built they are.. That M816 should be well-worth your efforts. You will be happy with its capacity. I used to have a M108 and loved it's cold weather start-ability. But I really love my M62's capacity. It has saved plenty a fella from having to call a big commercial rotator. I don't believe you will ever regret saving this truck from a bad end

fasttruck

I hope you got the correct bellhousing/clutch for a wrecker. They are unique with the provision to operate the clutch from the crane deck pneumatically which the dump trucks and cargo trucks lack.

Redpawn

Fasttruck Nope I have the wrong one. It's from a dump truck. I didn't even know there was a difference. I'll be happy if I can get it up and running for now and I'll be on the look out for a crane bell housing. Thanks for the heads up.

fasttruck

Picture facing front of truck shows air cylinder for remoter clutch operation between the transmission and the right frame rail above the driveshaft for the front winch. The bellhousing and the crossshaft to operate the throwout bearing are unique to the wrecker as is the fuel pump a, frame, and rear suspension.CLUTCH ACTUATOR M816.jpg

Redpawn

Thanks for the pic now at least I know what to look for. I noticed the fuel pump was different when I looked in the tech manual. I need a fuel pump as the one I got with the engine is bad. What's the main difference in the normal pump to the crane pump?

Another Ahab

Picture facing front of truck shows air cylinder for remoter clutch operation between the transmission and the right frame rail above the driveshaft for the front winch. The bellhousing and the crossshaft to operate the throwout bearing are unique to the wrecker as is the fuel pump a, frame, and rear suspension.View attachment 783270
The fittings appear all oiled and good and freshly greased.

Am I seeing that right, like:

- Do you regularly maintain the rig?

- Or did you just hit it all while you were in there with the camera?

dmetalmiki

Never mind one hat! I take TWO hats off to you..(And I thought I was progressing with the 'hard stuff').
Yours is a (Series off) Posts We will be following with great interest.

Redpawn

Fasttruck it might not be that the bell housing is different just the cross shaft. Oshkosh equipment has a long cross shaft in the parts section for the 816. They have the air cylinder as well but not the linkage.

fasttruck

Reference post 9: the "PT" fuel pump used in the 816 has an attachment or modification that allows it to hold a steady rate of fuel delivery or engine speed to facilitate the operation of the crane. The pumps used in cargo trucks will, if the hand throttle is pulled out, eventually ramp them selves up to full throttle even if the control is set for less. Post 12: I can only refer you to the previously posted picture as I no longer have the M816 itself. I recall their is some kind of provision in the right side of the engine bell to mount the air cylinder that operates the clutch through the extended cross shaft. Picture of fuel pump attached.M816 FUEL GOVERNER DETAIL # 2.jpgM816 FUEL GOVERNER DETAIL #1.jpg

fasttruck

Reference post 10: Grease is cheap: parts cost money. One thing I learned well in the military is lubricate everything IAW the applicable LO. Especially the more obscure fittings that are hard to reach with the grease gun. A M816 has something on the order of 100 grease points and I found them all regularly. I was on the same M 818 in service for 40,000 miles and got off it with the same clutch and u-joints I started with. When we turned in the M52A2s for M 818s I was given this tractor because it had a new clutch. Everything I did was heavy: haul APCs, forklifts, other trucks, Sheridan tanks, M109 and M110
howitzers, VTRS and such.

Redpawn

Thanks for the pics fasttruck now I know what to look for. The TM made it hard to tell the difference in the two fuel pumps. I think what I need is to find someone local with an 816 that would be willing to let me crawl around under it to see what all is missing from my truck and how every thing should be hooked up.

Ajax MD

Fastruck: Thanks for that knowledge about the hand throttle behavior on the cargo trucks. Mine also ramps up to full throttle and I thought this was incorrect behavior.

71DeuceAK

I commend you for rescuing her!

I myself am the proud owner of an incomplete, non running M928A1. Was the first vehicle I ever owned, has never run since I've owned it, and only finally saw it in person a month ago. People laugh at me for this thing all the time, including many fellow MV enthusiasts, but I feel you on the "I can't stand it being parted out or going to the scrap yard" thing for sure.

Keep us posted!

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Reference post 9: the "PT" fuel pump used in the 816 has an attachment or modification that allows it to hold a steady rate of fuel delivery or engine speed to facilitate the operation of the crane.
Do you know the name of the added component? I would like to add it to one of my trucks.

Thanks!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks