• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How I moved the 803 to the rear yard ALONE.

enem178

Let me start by saying....I don't plan on moving this thing again for a very long time! LOL Ok It took me some time to decide exactly where I wanted to place it. I ultimately decided to take a corner of the fire pit area. I really didn't want to sacrifice any grass and the pit was already there so that's what I went with. Now I had to figure out how to....

* move it out the garage
* make a tight, sharp 90 degree turn
* squeeze it between my house and the neighbor's BRAND NEW fence (about 40" of clearance and also the same side as my service drop)
* Roll it over 40' of thick grass
* And lastly roll it over several inches of gravel, turn it around and place it in it's final resting spot.....ALONE!

Luckily I still had a trailer dolly I used to move my race car around a tight yard at the old house. I already installed 4 10" pneumatic tires on the 803 but I needed a way to mount the hitch to the generator temporarily. I decide to mount the hitch on a piece of 2x6 and then mount the 2x6 to the generator. I drilled through the front of the skid and made the attachment there. When I was done I could just unbolt it for the next time I needed to move it. Next I jacked the set up, removed the front casters and lowered it onto the dolly. I used my small ryobi generator to power the dolly during the move. After about an hour the generator was in place, the fence was still standing and nothing was in the least bit damaged...... BUT if I knew then what I know now I would have done a few things differently. 1st I would have waited for a friend to help me. It would have saved so much time if there was and extra set of hands guiding the rear of the unit. I had to keep stopping and adjusting the unit to make sure it didn't hit anything. 2nd and lastly I would have used a thicker piece of wood as my mounting bracket (maybe a 4x6) because the wood was cracked in a few places by the end of the move. It never completely gave but it was a little uncomfortable. So that's my relocation story. Maybe it wasn't the fastest, easiest or even smartest way to do it but it got done and I'm happy about that.

Screen Shot 2019-11-18 at 10.20.55 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-11-18 at 10.21.56 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-11-18 at 10.22.48 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-11-18 at 10.23.25 AM.png

Last edited:

NormB

I brought mine home on a 4x8 folding trailer, one of those Harborfreight specials I'd bought off a neighbor years ago, registered in Maine and used to haul home an ATV, among other things. While the 803 was heavy, it was a few hundred pounds below the upper safety limit for the trailer.

I backed the trailer in place with said ATV (2001 Yamaha Grizzly 600), tilted the trailer, and connected a ratchet come-a-long to some chains hooked up the the genset loops and a tree by my house and slid the thing into place onto a wooden pallet I built up. I then removed an 802a from the pallet by the same procedure. Going to haul the 802 into the garage shortly where it'll get torn down, have some sound proofing added (the roll-on sheets), get repainted, then I'll haul it down to my TN farm in the spring to power up my garage.

Good to see someone else finding a solution for moving something like this without having to resort to pulleys, hoists, sling-loading under a UH-1 or Blackhawk.

Nice work.

enem178

I brought mine home on a 4x8 folding trailer, one of those Harborfreight specials I'd bought off a neighbor years ago, registered in Maine and used to haul home an ATV, among other things. While the 803 was heavy, it was a few hundred pounds below the upper safety limit for the trailer.

I backed the trailer in place with said ATV (2001 Yamaha Grizzly 600), tilted the trailer, and connected a ratchet come-a-long to some chains hooked up the the genset loops and a tree by my house and slid the thing into place onto a wooden pallet I built up. I then removed an 802a from the pallet by the same procedure. Going to haul the 802 into the garage shortly where it'll get torn down, have some sound proofing added (the roll-on sheets), get repainted, then I'll haul it down to my TN farm in the spring to power up my garage.

Good to see someone else finding a solution for moving something like this without having to resort to pulleys, hoists, sling-loading under a UH-1 or Blackhawk.

Nice work.

Thanks and same to you. Im still trying to figure out how I can convince the wife I need an ATV! LOL

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recently picked up a 80's vintage Kubota tractor with front end loader. I don't know how I lived so long without one of those things in my life!!

enem178

Man I wish I had one. But if Im honest with myself I'd rarely use it. Im only 30-40 mins outside NYC and my lot is just under a 1/4 acre.

NormB

B3C55DA2-8647-4AAA-8EE7-554D48A3183A.jpg6B69CE1C-2B94-4D31-8EF1-6DCE5AF4C331.jpg

The tree’s just in front of the chimney to the right. I braced the front end of the trailer with a couple of boards, pulling them out as I transferred the weight of the 802 forward onto it with the comealong ratchet.

Just in case anyone’s looking into options for moving theirs in future.

Another Ahab

Foundation looks great. Proximity to the wood pile could be a concern if the generator were to catch fire.
Likely if that thing burns the house is going up with or without the woodpile, but it's a good point.

Cheap and fast solution might be a couple sheets of Durock (it's a common tile-backer board) placed judiciously.

A1.jpg

NormB

Foundation looks great. Proximity to the wood pile could be a concern if the generator were to catch fire.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Foundation is 2x8 pressure treated boards, solid dirt underneath, tamped down, covered in several layers of visqueen, built the taper wall to more or less match slope of the yard at that side, one less thing to trip over.

I stack two cords of wood on the patio/slab every year, usually burn it Nov-March along with heating oil.

Hadn't thought that through. The fire hazard. Good point. Thanks for bringing this up.

I'll look into a barrier of some kind. Durock/PT 2x4 wall, etc.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

smokem joe

I recently picked up a 80's vintage Kubota tractor with front end loader. I don't know how I lived so long without one of those things in my life!!
'I've owned my Kubota for about 5 years. I now have no idea how I got along without it. Pallet forks have even been used for a cherry picker a time or two

Chainbreaker

'I've owned my Kubota for about 5 years. I now have no idea how I got along without it. Pallet forks have even been used for a cherry picker a time or two
Yeah, they certainly become indispensable once you own one and have the need for one, with needs increasing once you have one & discover uses you never thought of before. I have a 3400 series Kubota with pallet forks that has the "D" ring attachment point up close to the forks backframe which helps with lifting/pulling chained loads (my generators for one) up closer to the loader arms pivot point. I have been able to lift loads that I would not have been able to lift if the load were extended out over the pallet forks.

The key to safety is knowing the lift rating of your tractor's loader, or pallet forks, and the weight of the item you are lifting. I once attempted to lift a pallet of several ~120 lb hay bales into the back of a neighbor's pickup truck. My tractor lifted it just fine but once it was raised above tailgate height and I was moving forward with the load & slowed as I approached the truck the load overpowered my tractor and the rear wheels suddenly came off the ground. I was very quick to lower (drop) the load to ground level & the wheels returned to terra firma! It was a bit of a pucker factor though & I hate to think what might have happened if I was any closer to my neighbor's truck before I regained control! BTW, all my tires were properly inflated and internally wet weighted (filled) but did not have any implement (added weight) on the rear of the tractor to counter balance the heavy load I obviously underestimated. Lesson learned, simple physics are not to be ignored.

smokem joe

I have the 3100 series and very quickly found out to always leave a mower or backblade on the 3 point to help with weight, even with loaded tires. Even still I've had the back tires off the ground. It is not a good feeling!

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I absolutely LOVE that electric dolly. I have never seen such a unit. Oh Yeah, your generator is AWESOME. Congratulations

csheath

Good job!

Last time I moved mine I used some clamp on forks on the bucket of my tractor and attached 3" ratchet straps to the lift hooks. I didn't try to lift it more than a few inches off the ground.

generator-move.jpg

Chainbreaker

View attachment 783329

Makes moving things pretty easy....
Nice rig! I'm envious of you being able to run loaded on level concrete in that scene. It's 700' between my house and shop/barn and elevation between drops 80' on a sloping hillside. I cut a gravel path/road between house and shop that is slightly off-angle to allow for natural drainage and it makes transporting heavy loads challenging at times when going down hill off-angle and ground is a bit spongy when the ground beneath gravel becomes saturated in rainy season. Whenever it snows the tractor remains safely parked in barn...hillsides, gravity and snow when driving a tractor without chains just doesn't do too well.

BTW, I like the light bar mounted on your ROPS as well as the handheld spot light. I did something similar but don't have a handheld light mounted...yet.

enem178

I really envy you guys with tractors but like I said I only have 1/4 acre and I live in a city. I even tried to justify buying a skid steer just because hahaha

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks