• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

what cordless tool are you using to get your lug nuts off

jasonjc

After I came back from trade school I lived with my parents for a year. I was working at IHC in Seattle. One day after coming home from work I saw my father and brother outside working on his old beater Dodge. When I came over they wherein the process of hitting my "Snap-On" breaker bar with a hammer to break a bolt loose !!! I totally lost my salvation !!!!!
Later my father said I should apologize to my brother for calling him names. I said that breaker bar cost over $100.00 (that's $100.00 in 1970's money) and I'm the one who should apologize ?!?!?!?
I still own that breaker bar, and every time I use it I remember my brother hitting it with that hammer as is still has the dents in the handle.

Now before anyone gets on my case about saying "Hillbillies" they need to know my family background a little. For example my family still practices "Shivaree" at weddings. If you don't know what that is then your not from the hills of Kentucky. Also one of my great-great grandfathers had "Daniel Boone" as his best man. He signed the wedding certificate as the best man witness. My brother has a copy of it. The original is still in the county courthouse.
What I'm trying to say is you don't have to shake my family tree very hard before certain people start falling out.

I just found out recently that my family came from Kentucky on my dad's side starting with my grandfather. So i mite have some hillbilly in me to. :)

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well to me hillbilly's always made the best moonshine and was always able to keep thing moving with bubble gum and bailing wire.
My gene pool French- Canadian if we are going off topic.

Another Ahab

Well to me hillbilly's always made the best moonshine and was always able to keep thing moving with bubble gum and bailing wire.
My gene pool French- Canadian if we are going off topic.
That's the "Acadians" who got thrown out of Canada by the British after the Seven Years War:

- Becoming the "Cajuns" of Louisiana (or at least I think that was it)

Guess we all might be a bunch of lug nuts for drifting like this, so maybe we're still on topic!

rustystud

We apologize to you, Jericho, for the drifting:

- You started a great thread here and we all got comfortable with it is all.

Thanks for starting it!

Guessing the bigger batteries fit the smaller impact wrenches, do you know rustystud?
Yes. All M18 size tools will except all M18 batteries, though the smaller tools handle weird with a large battery hanging off it.

Another Ahab

Yes. All M18 size tools will except all M18 batteries, though the smaller tools handle weird with a large battery hanging off it.
Like floridanson said, "I don't plan on building any bridges either" (funny!).

So the smaller batteries and the smaller 1/2" (2763) likely will handle anything I stumble into.

But Milwaukee constantly "ups" their game (must be a big R&D dept there), so that's why I'm watching right here. Always something to learn.

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a brand new line of tools being introduced by Wal Mart called HART. It will be interesting what they do with this line. Looks like they are upgrading their black and decker and cheap tools to become a real player with the likes of Kobalt & husky.....

rustystud

There is a brand new line of tools being introduced by Wal Mart called HART. It will be interesting what they do with this line. Looks like they are upgrading their black and decker and cheap tools to become a real player with the likes of Kobalt & husky.....
Speaking of new tool lines. Harbor Freight has started their "Icon" tool line. They say it will compete with the big boys like MAC and Snap-On . I bought a set of wrenches to try out. They are a little bigger then the Snap-On wrenches (thicker) but overall they look and feel pretty good. Their also about 1/3 the price. The 3/4" wrench I tested had about the same "Jaw Spread" as the Snap-On does so we'll see how this all pans out in the end.
For those not familiar with the term of wrench "jaw spread" , it's what happens when you try and remove or tighten a really stuck bolt. To test a wrench for jaw spread you put a 3/4" bolt head in a vise really tight and using a cheater bar on the wrench you try and turn the bolt with the open end of the wrench. The wrench jaws will "spread" open once they reach their max ability to hold. This is the tools "jaw spread". A cheap wrench will immediately start to spread, while a good quality wrench like a Snap-On will take an extreme amount of torque before it spreads.

Another Ahab

Speaking of new tool lines. Harbor Freight has started their "Icon" tool line.
For those not familiar with the term of wrench "jaw spread" , it's what happens when you try and remove or tighten a really stuck bolt.
I thought "jaw-spread" is the disbelief that Harbor Freight might legitimately put out a high quality tool line.

But then who says that they can't?!

A2.gif

rustystud

I thought "jaw-spread" is the disbelief that Harbor Freight might legitimately put out a high quality tool line.

But then who says that they can't?!

View attachment 784684
It seems they have gotten quite a few engineers from major tool companies to redesign their tool line.
Their "Air Guns" are now designed by a Ingersol Rand engineer, and their Welders are designed by a Lincoln Electric engineer. Who knows where they got the hand tool engineer from. Maybe Snap-On.
I remember when Harbor Freight first started. They carried major companies "seconds" , like Milwaukee Tools. I still own a lot of those Milwaukee saws and drills to this day. Then they started carrying their own line of tools made in China. Real crap back then. Who knows. In the future we might be calling Harbor Freight "the" major tool company in America . Scary !

ramdough

Looking at getting a big cordless impact gun. I see a lot of the Milwaukee Fuel ones on YouTube. I already have some Mikita tools. Is there any reason not to get the big Makita one vs the big Milwaukee?

Need it for lug nuts and big things on M1083 for scale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ramdough

Just read this entire thread.....

Thinking of the 1/2” Milwaukee high torque one. I already own several makita tools. Hate to switch brands at this point, but not that big a deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks