• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

what cordless tool are you using to get your lug nuts off

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have never checked what my 1/2'' drive will do when putting the wheel on only off. I think I said I check the 3/4'' drive M18 fuel one key and on power level 4 it was real close to 475 foot pounds. Guess I should check the 1/2" some day and report back. My thought was yea the 1/2 drive might / will get the nuts loose but would it get them back to at least 450 foot pounds. Did they make a budd socket in 3/4 drive? Found this and it come with budd socket. https://www.harborfreight.com/1-in-drive-sae-impact-socket-set-10-pc-67989.html

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor

These and get a "BUDD" socket in 3/4" drive. Or just get the 1/2" high torque Milwaukee.
The new 1inch Milwaukee is a bad dude

They do m
I have never checked what my 1/2'' drive will do when putting the wheel on only off. I think I said I check the 3/4'' drive M18 fuel one key and on power level 4 it was real close to 475 foot pounds. Guess I should check the 1/2" some day and report back. My thought was yea the 1/2 drive might / will get the nuts loose but would it get them back to at least 450 foot pounds. Did they make a budd socket in 3/4 drive? Found this and it come with budd socket. https://www.harborfreight.com/1-in-drive-sae-impact-socket-set-10-pc-67989.html
They do make a budd socket in 3/4

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Back in the good old daze there was parts that were to be discarded during maintenance, just like the TM says, the thimbles/capnut and lug nuts come to mind.

I found some can be reused if cleaned and bead blasted good and inspected really close up. Lug nut and thimbles of a Deuce at 450 ft. lbs torque are supposed to be what they supposed to be, nice new threads, not all goobberd up, not over-torqued
stretched beyond compliance by nasty excessive torque and dirty nasty threads.
No, They ain't supposed to have any stripped or over torqued threads.
TM says only lube is 30W motor oil.
I do it all by hand, she likes it.

next question, tm 9-8024,page 472 paragraph 259
inner nuts 400 to 450 ft lbs, outer lug nuts the same

One could read TM 9-2320-361-20 section 9-2 and toss that junk.
Used to have 20 guys that knew what they were doin in the motor pool and had a huge supply system behind them, another few thousand guys.....
All gone now and We workin with 50 year old trucks.

Pretty sure can buy new ones at NAPA

Attachments

Last edited:

HN6

So far this thing has been golden for the past 2 years. Even using the 1/2''-3/4'' adapter it still breaks large bolts free. Still amazed. I borrowed a friend 1'' ingersoll air the other day and quit using it and went back to the battery makita. Lots of different models out there for each brand. Not all are equal even under the same brands... kind of confusing.

Attachments

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The small steel storage box is a nice bonus with the set.
Yea the box is nice to have and since I can not remember dog poo believe it came from Harbor freight. Myself I still might go with the 1'' drive socket and if needed and just get the 1'' to 3/4'' adapter if I had to do it again. I have the Ingersoll Rand 1'' air impact and now the 1'' M18 but it sleeps a lot. Also if you have the 24 volt robo or what ever that one is called is that also not 1'' drive? Yea the Milwaukee 1'' is bad but for $500 bucks and the amount of tires so far it has not paid for it's self. I could have just used my M18 3/4'' drive and if need be use my big truck four way and cheater bar for removal of said nuts.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks