• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Inline fuel pump question

offroad226

I just picked up a 1971 deuce with the Ltd multifuel engine. I found out after a fuel filter change that the previous owner removed the intank pump and replaced it with just a pickup tube. I was able to get it primed and running but just installed an airtex e8131 electric fuel pump inline and now it seems like it’s starving for fuel at high rpm and the dies. Has anyone else had issues with the pump? It’s also extremely noisy, wasn’t sure if maybe I got a faulty pump. Any issue with getting rid of the pump and just running off the injection pump? Thanks

snowtrac nome

yes if you remove the lift pump it will put a lot of strain on the transfer pump in your injection pump and cause a premature pump failure. it sounds like the aiirtex pump isn't moving enough volume.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...mp-not-working-How-do-you-prime-without/page2

Your airtex is listed at flowing 35 gal/h (free flow) and capable of 14 psi.
The recommended pump (see this thread) from RockAuto is the only 24V diesel pump for heavy diesel applications and is the exact same pump you have. So, that may not be your issue.
The TM has step by step fuel supply troubleshooting. What comes to mind is new filters already clogging due to debris in the tank, a crushed or clogged fuel line somewhere.
Fuel starvation at high power demand, most commonly, points to filters.

Last edited:

offroad226

Thanks for the replies. I’ve already changed all three filters so don’t believe that’s the issue. I just took the pump out and trucks running fine again. Believe I may have gotten a bad pump from the factory. The Bradley pump would be great but the previous owner cannibalized the intank fuel pump assembly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks