• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2 Wont start

Banshee365

I’m 99% sure I put it back together correctly, tomorrow I’m going to fill the fuel filters with fuel and see if she starts. If she does and I believe she will I will see if she still dies out of nowhere.
I was 99% sure that I put it back together properly. I knew the plunger could be installed into the butterfly clip backwards. Yet, I’m the idiot that floridianson is talking about from last week.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was 99% sure that I put it back together properly. I knew the plunger could be installed into the butterfly clip backwards. Yet, I’m the idiot that floridianson is talking about from last week.
As for idiot I don't think so, you figured it out fast with no help.

DalekEngineer

So I got fuel today put it in the tank bleed the fuel system and she fired up. So I let it idle for a good while then I started to drive it around the property she was doing great for a good 15 minutes then out of nowhere she died, I tried to fire it back up but it was on a hill even thought it had half a tank of fuel she just wouldn’t fire so I pulled to a flat spot with the tractor put more fuel in the tank rebleed the fuel lines and she fired up but She kept on dieing after about 5 seconds I tried a number of times and she just kept dieing so I decided I’d clean the fuel pump and she was a dirty so I cleaned it it was putting out 8psi so were all good there I tried to fire it up and she fired up nicely after around 10 minutes she died again out of nowhere so I fired it back up and it died after about 10 seconds again I did that a couple times. It seems to run great when it’s not fully warmed up yet but after it’s warm it seems to want to die. So what could this be? It’s got me real confused. Thank you all.

davidb56

you need to run a temporary fuel pressure gauge into the cab. It sounds like you might be loosing fuel pressure after a while and eliminate the tank/pump as a suspect. Did you find any water in the separator filter on the frame front passenger side?

rustystud

Did you ever check the injection pump "Booster pump" ?
A good place to put a test pressure gauge is just before the injection pump hydraulic head. That will tell you if you have enough pressure for the pump to work.
Then after checking the Booster pump, check the "Fuel Delivery Valve" in the Hydraulic Head, and the "Overflow Valve" on the side of the injection pump.

Here's some pictures to help you.

View attachment Scan0183.pdfView attachment Scan0184.pdf

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Almost sounds like picking up air or a restriction in the fuel delevery system. As for the fuel pressures we need a gage the has up to 100 psi range. We place that gage between the secondary and final fuel filters at the bleed screw. Idle pressure should be 30 psi minimum and high idle 60 psi minimum. The TM tells us if she can hold those pressures then fuel filter pressure relief is holding and so is the over flow valve. When the truck shuts off after it is running for a while are you checking the bleed screw for air right after it shut off?

Last edited:

DalekEngineer

So I tried to put the pressure gage in between the two fuel filters but every time I put the gage on there it would make the fuel would go back in the lines and it would not start so I would have to take it off run the pump till fuel came out and then it would start so how do I put a gage there to measure the pressure?

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We remove the bleeder fitting and using a fitting that screws in to that port then the gage fits on that fitting. As for the in tank pump you can let it run just by it's self as long as you want to get the system filled and fuel returning to the fuel tank. Sometimes I will turn on the in tank pump and do a quick walk around the truck if it has not been run for awhile. Then hit the starter button. It does not hurt the in tank pump. I do not worry about gaging just the in tank for the 4 to 7 psi. If I open the bleeder with just the in tank pump running and it is working well enough to push fuel out of the bleeder then that will push fuel through the final fuel filter then through the IP then back to the tank. We have to gage the booster 30 / 60 psi when truck is running.

Last edited:

DalekEngineer

I haven’t been able to test pressure but I found a tiny hole in the fuel tank that slowly drips so I put a bucket under it and the next morning I looked at it and the drip coming out of the tank was frozen so there was water in the fuel tank and I think that it might be dieing because the fuel gets stirred up and sucks up some water.

rustystud

I haven’t been able to test pressure but I found a tiny hole in the fuel tank that slowly drips so I put a bucket under it and the next morning I looked at it and the drip coming out of the tank was frozen so there was water in the fuel tank and I think that it might be dieing because the fuel gets stirred up and sucks up some water.
Then you need to look at your first fuel filter by the generator. It is suppose to be a fuel/water filter. Then clean out your fuel tank and add some water inhibiters/absorbers to the fuel. Or just dump the fuel and start fresh.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Best bet is to dump it, solder up the holes, then start fresh. Blow out the fuel lines and swap in all new filters.

DalekEngineer

Okay, I won’t be able to do it today but by this weekend I should be able to drain the lines and fuel tank. And I’ll check the primary filter for water today after school.

Banshee365

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you have one pinhole in your tank you have a thousand. Start shopping for a new tank. I recently got one from White Owl. He’s awesome. If you clean the inside of your tank out thoroughly you’ll find the rest of the holes.

rustystud

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you have one pinhole in your tank you have a thousand. Start shopping for a new tank. I recently got one from White Owl. He’s awesome. If you clean the inside of your tank out thoroughly you’ll find the rest of the holes.
Sometimes the truck can be setting at a slight angle and the water in the fuel settles in a corner. Then you only have to fix a small area. Of course there is the other side of the coin when your whole tank bottom has water setting on it ! Like yours appeared to do. Then your SOL !

davidb56

If you cannot find another tank, look into a older International truck tank like a 1600. Some of them had the foot step built into then, but you may be able to retrofit one in place and almost look original. Or build one to fit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks