• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Max Tire Width

Kevin Donahue

Thinking of going to some 39.5 Super Swamper Iroks... that being said I am going to start with a 2 inch body lift and if that is not enough I will go drop in some spring spacers and get another 2 inches or so.
The only thing I am concerned about is the tire width. I want to run my original Humvee 2 piece double beadlock wheels but we are going from an 8 inch wide tire to a 13.5 inch wide tire.

Will the extra 5.5 inches cause the front tires to rub when turning?

Thanks!!

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thinking of going to some 39.5 Super Swamper Iroks... that being said I am going to start with a 2 inch body lift and if that is not enough I will go drop in some spring spacers and get another 2 inches or so.
The only thing I am concerned about is the tire width. I want to run my original Humvee 2 piece double beadlock wheels but we are going from an 8 inch wide tire to a 13.5 inch wide tire.

Will the extra 5.5 inches cause the front tires to rub when turning?

Thanks!!
The wheel is 8" wide where the bead seats, the tire itself is 12.5" wide.
From everything I've heard/read on going to the bigger tires there might be just a little rubbing at full lock when turning, but even without the body lift you should be okay for space with the body, unless you plan to overload it and go off roading that is.

Kevin Donahue

The wheel is 8" wide where the bead seats, the tire itself is 12.5" wide.
From everything I've heard/read on going to the bigger tires there might be just a little rubbing at full lock when turning, but even without the body lift you should be okay for space with the body, unless you plan to overload it and go off roading that is.
Ok sounds good! I definitely want to off road it quite a bit hence why I am willing to go pretty aggressive on the tires.
I am going to try my luck with a 2 inch lift, stock I believe they have 37 inch tires so I figure if I bolt on 40s (39.5 to be exact) and lift it 2 inches I will only really be a half inch closer to the body than before..... but that is just bro science. I have no clue how this will actually work in reality. Fingers crossed lol.

MattNC

The increase in height of tire is divided by two. Half that increase goes above the axel, half goes down, correct? Its radius (half of diameter) you care about. So from a 37" tire to a 39.5" tire the overall radius of the tire increases (39.5-37)/2 = 1.25" With a 2" body lift the clearance will actually be 0.75" more than the stock setup. Not sure how the tire profile may have an impact but height wise its sounding good.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please include your state in your location.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks