• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1990 M998 Starting issues

edm998

I have a 1990 M988 and just recently it has been hard starting. It will crank over but will not start. If I just touch the gas pedal it will start right up and once it has been running it will start just fine until it sits for a period of time (4+ hours or more). I also checked the fuel filter drain line once the M998 has been running and nothing comes out with the valve open. Just wondering if anyone has run into this issue or has any idea of where or what the issue might be. Just as to be clear I have only has the M998 for a couple of months and this is my first military vehicle so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe there is mud or insect nest in your drain line.
On starting, if you are not seeing the voltmeter dip during “wait to start” you have burned out glow plugs most likely. Check that your start box is not putting out continuous voltage to the glow plugs, they burn out after 10 seconds roughly. If it is, box is bad.

edm998

Thanks for responding, the voltmeter does dip during waiting to start. It will start once I tap the the pedal and it runs fine after that. Any other things to check please let me know. Be kind I am a newbe to this type of vehicle.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks