Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: LMTV as an RV

Private
    Thanks

Default LMTV as an RV in California

Hi folks! I'm in California and I understand that FMTVs are almost impossible to register as a truck or commercial vehicle in California, but from what I understand they can be registered here if they are converted to an RV with a motorhome or housecar classification. Does anyone have actual experience with this specific classification here? Most of what I've read is opinion and conjecture with very few facts.

I'm looking at either building out an m1079 or converting an m1078 by adding a camper box. It will have a bed, toilet, stove.

Thanks in advance!

Lou
    Last edited by tacosauce; 11-22-2019 at 05:31.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to tacosauce For This Useful Post:

Another Ahab (11-22-2019)

Thanks

I could be wrong, but I thought I heard they could not be registered as an RV to get around the issue. You may to register it in another state, like others do. Some incorporate.

49% of Californians surveyed are leaving California in the next 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by tacosauce View Post
    Hi folks! I'm in California and I understand that FMTVs are almost impossible to register as a truck or commercial vehicle in California, but from what I understand they can be registered here if they are converted to an RV with a motorhome or housecar classification. Does anyone have actual experience with this specific classification here? Most of what I've read is opinion and conjecture with very few facts.

I'm looking at either building out an m1079 or converting an m1078 by adding a camper box. It will have a bed, toilet, stove.

Thanks in advance!

Lou
    Last edited by Reworked LMTV; 11-22-2019 at 08:33.
    1998 M1088A0 former KY National Guard vehicle

Many states have banned on road use of MV's. Even Canada has made driving them difficult. In a flash all of your work money and work is wasted. Watch your State Legislator closely! This can be done by setting up an automatic send of all State Bill proposals. Once it's law, it's hard to get it changed.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reworked LMTV For This Useful Post:

cucvmule (11-23-2019), tacosauce (11-23-2019), Third From Texas (11-22-2019)

Thanks

1) Find a state that allows RV title conversions
    2) Start a LLC in that state (cost is typically under $100 total but some states do require a resident sponsor)
    3) Register as an RV in the LLC's name (meet the required changes to be an RV, weigh, inspect)
    4) Lease the vehicle to yourself for $1
    5) Insure for your state under your insurance and add the LLC as "also insured"
    6) Enjoy driving in all 50 states

It's illegal in most (all?) states to just "register in another state" that is not your legal residence. But the above is 100% legal.

*disclaimer: not a lawyer nor is this legal advice
    Last edited by Third From Texas; 11-22-2019 at 10:14.
    1998 Stewart & Stevenson M1078 A0 *SOLD*
    2008 BAE Systems M1079 A1-R

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Third From Texas For This Useful Post:

cucvmule (11-23-2019), Reworked LMTV (11-22-2019), tacosauce (11-23-2019)

Thanks

Yes, nice outline. As an individual you may not be able register in another state, but you are dealing with two different state laws, and the federal laws. If an RV travels to different states and countries, then are you really registering in the state where it is primarily used? Not a lawyer, but I would definitely call that in to question. Could you make the RV your legal resident and rent your house? Donno....

The LLC would also shield liability to a degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Third From Texas View Post
    1) Find a state that allows RV title conversions
    2) Start a LLC in that state (cost is typically under $100 total but some states do require a resident sponsor)
    3) Register as an RV in the LLC's name (meet the required changes to be an RV, weigh, inspect)
    4) Lease the vehicle to yourself for $1
    5) Insure for your state under your insurance and add the LLC as "also insured"
    6) Enjoy driving in all 50 states

It's illegal in most (all?) states to just "register in another state" that is not your legal residence. But the above is 100% legal.

*disclaimer: not a lawyer nor is this legal advice
    1998 M1088A0 former KY National Guard vehicle

Many states have banned on road use of MV's. Even Canada has made driving them difficult. In a flash all of your work money and work is wasted. Watch your State Legislator closely! This can be done by setting up an automatic send of all State Bill proposals. Once it's law, it's hard to get it changed.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Reworked LMTV For This Useful Post:

tacosauce (11-23-2019)

Thanks

Another nice feature of this method is that if you ever sell the truck, you can simply sell the LLC to the new owner. It can all transfer that way and the only change is getting it insured by the buyer. Technically, it requires no re-registration (since the LLC owed/owns the truck all along).

Just be sure to have no other assets under the LLC.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Third From Texas For This Useful Post:

cucvmule (11-23-2019), tacosauce (11-23-2019), URSATDX (11-22-2019)

Private
    Thanks

Thanks for the replies!
    I found another thread that is a couple years old:
    https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...a-Registration

12. The Following User Says Thank You to tacosauce For This Useful Post:

Another Ahab (11-23-2019)

Private
    Thanks

Just be aware that some states are looking very hard at LLC's created for registration of vehicles (particularly high value vehicles) through LLC's in Montana and other states to avoid payment of sales tax in the real vehicle owners state of residence. States that rely heavily on sales tax for income are now creating legislation to deal with the issue of LLC vehicle ownership/registration in one state and long term domicile of said vehicle in another state with foreign (Out of State) registration.

The "High Value" part may or may not play a part for a Military vehicle however you should be aware of this issue.
    Mike

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vintageracer For This Useful Post:

Another Ahab (11-28-2019), Reworked LMTV (12-02-2019), tacosauce (11-30-2019), Third From Texas (11-28-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,423 Times in 6,093 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
    Just be aware that some states are looking very hard at LLC's created for registration of vehicles
    The "High Value" part may or may not play a part for a Military vehicle however you should be aware of this issue.
    Good man:

- Thanks for the "heads-up"
    M35A2 w/Winch SOLD

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Another Ahab For This Useful Post:

tacosauce (11-30-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
    Just be aware that some states are looking very hard at LLC's created for registration of vehicles
    My take is that if the state wants my tax dollars then they need to allow registration and operation of my vehicles.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Third From Texas For This Useful Post:

Reworked LMTV (11-29-2019), tacosauce (11-30-2019)

Corporal
    Thanks

Iím registering my M1078 now! Dmv in San Jose charged me 1174 dollars for fees and sent all my papers to HQ in Sacramento. Right now Iím driving it with that red tag permits! FYI my sf97 and all documents support sent in 2 days ago! Iíll update when I get thier answer!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to St1300pa For This Useful Post:

tacosauce (11-30-2019)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast