• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV as an RV in California

tacosauce

LMTV as an RV in California

Hi folks! I'm in California and I understand that FMTVs are almost impossible to register as a truck or commercial vehicle in California, but from what I understand they can be registered here if they are converted to an RV with a motorhome or housecar classification. Does anyone have actual experience with this specific classification here? Most of what I've read is opinion and conjecture with very few facts.

I'm looking at either building out an m1079 or converting an m1078 by adding a camper box. It will have a bed, toilet, stove.

Thanks in advance!

Lou

Last edited:

Reworked LMTV

I could be wrong, but I thought I heard they could not be registered as an RV to get around the issue. You may to register it in another state, like others do. Some incorporate.

49% of Californians surveyed are leaving California in the next 5 years.

Hi folks! I'm in California and I understand that FMTVs are almost impossible to register as a truck or commercial vehicle in California, but from what I understand they can be registered here if they are converted to an RV with a motorhome or housecar classification. Does anyone have actual experience with this specific classification here? Most of what I've read is opinion and conjecture with very few facts.

I'm looking at either building out an m1079 or converting an m1078 by adding a camper box. It will have a bed, toilet, stove.

Thanks in advance!

Lou

Last edited:

Third From Texas

1) Find a state that allows RV title conversions
2) Start a LLC in that state (cost is typically under $100 total but some states do require a resident sponsor)
3) Register as an RV in the LLC's name (meet the required changes to be an RV, weigh, inspect)
4) Lease the vehicle to yourself for $1
5) Insure for your state under your insurance and add the LLC as "also insured"
6) Enjoy driving in all 50 states

It's illegal in most (all?) states to just "register in another state" that is not your legal residence. But the above is 100% legal.

*disclaimer: not a lawyer nor is this legal advice

Last edited:

Reworked LMTV

Yes, nice outline. As an individual you may not be able register in another state, but you are dealing with two different state laws, and the federal laws. If an RV travels to different states and countries, then are you really registering in the state where it is primarily used? Not a lawyer, but I would definitely call that in to question. Could you make the RV your legal resident and rent your house? Donno....

The LLC would also shield liability to a degree.

1) Find a state that allows RV title conversions
2) Start a LLC in that state (cost is typically under $100 total but some states do require a resident sponsor)
3) Register as an RV in the LLC's name (meet the required changes to be an RV, weigh, inspect)
4) Lease the vehicle to yourself for $1
5) Insure for your state under your insurance and add the LLC as "also insured"
6) Enjoy driving in all 50 states

It's illegal in most (all?) states to just "register in another state" that is not your legal residence. But the above is 100% legal.

*disclaimer: not a lawyer nor is this legal advice

Third From Texas

Another nice feature of this method is that if you ever sell the truck, you can simply sell the LLC to the new owner. It can all transfer that way and the only change is getting it insured by the buyer. Technically, it requires no re-registration (since the LLC owed/owns the truck all along).

Just be sure to have no other assets under the LLC.

vintageracer

Just be aware that some states are looking very hard at LLC's created for registration of vehicles (particularly high value vehicles) through LLC's in Montana and other states to avoid payment of sales tax in the real vehicle owners state of residence. States that rely heavily on sales tax for income are now creating legislation to deal with the issue of LLC vehicle ownership/registration in one state and long term domicile of said vehicle in another state with foreign (Out of State) registration.

The "High Value" part may or may not play a part for a Military vehicle however you should be aware of this issue.

St1300pa

I’m registering my M1078 now! Dmv in San Jose charged me 1174 dollars for fees and sent all my papers to HQ in Sacramento. Right now I’m driving it with that red tag permits! FYI my sf97 and all documents support sent in 2 days ago! I’ll update when I get thier answer!

St1300pa

And lou! I’m also convert my M1078 to an rv ! So far I haven’t done anything to my truck yet! Driving it around town to find any problem with the truck so I can fix or correct first before doing the conversion! My plans to built the box on top of my bed! And for torsion I’ll do it as water trucks torsion mount! I’m not too crazy off road. If you are in Norcal around San Jose area maybe we can hook up and chit chat

Another Ahab

I’m registering my M1078 now! Dmv in San Jose charged me 1174 dollars for fees and sent all my papers to HQ in Sacramento. Right now I’m driving it with that red tag permits! FYI my sf97 and all documents support sent in 2 days ago! I’ll update when I get thier answer!
Is that a one-time fee, or an annual fee?

tacosauce

Right on! I have my fingers crossed for you :)

tacosauce

And lou! I’m also convert my M1078 to an rv ! So far I haven’t done anything to my truck yet! Driving it around town to find any problem with the truck so I can fix or correct first before doing the conversion! My plans to built the box on top of my bed! And for torsion I’ll do it as water trucks torsion mount! I’m not too crazy off road. If you are in Norcal around San Jose area maybe we can hook up and chit chat
I'd love to connect sometime! Thanks for the invite

Did they do the paperwork as a flat bed truck?

Blairg

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ended up doing the same. Mine is registered as a commercial truck currently. I paid the extra money to have it sent with a title. Overall the process was smooth I thought for dealing with 2 California governmental agencies. After CHP verification I returned to the DMV handed back my paperwork and they handed me plates. My plan is to build a box and convert to RV in the future. I received the official title a few weeks later.

Blair

St1300pa

Yup I went to chp also . They gave me an appointment till dec 10, I went to my friend chp in Fremont, he did my vin inspection .. entire process was little rough becuase my truck has no Vin! Took me almost a month to get bill of sale and sf92 from govplanet!

coachgeo

Yup I went to chp also . They gave me an appointment till dec 10, I went to my friend chp in Fremont, he did my vin inspection .. entire process was little rough becuase my truck has no Vin! Took me almost a month to get bill of sale and sf92 from govplanet!
Yes it has a VIN..... just not a traditional VIN (in syntax) and not a traditional location.... but it does have a VIN (unless your data plate by the driver left knee was missing)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks