• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV as an RV in California

tacosauce

Brake locked up.

Small line to divider snapped.
Hence your recommendations for brake inspection, airline, and parts :)
Thanks for sharing!

Forgot to mention that the LEDs look awesome too! I am planning on eventually changing mine out.

When you mention carrying an extra turn signal, do you mean the bulbs?

Reworked LMTV

Hence your recommendations for brake inspection, airline, and parts :)
Thanks for sharing!

Forgot to mention that the LEDs look awesome too! I am planning on eventually changing mine out.

When you mention carrying an extra turn signal, do you mean the bulbs?
No, the stalk on the steering column. It controls the horn, wipers, turn signals, and headlights.

Green Mountain Boys

Learning the unknowns are what make it interesting and entertaining for me.

I've posted the details of many of my trips. I presume you've read them... Never once have I had to have a vehicle towed by a wrecker service. I've yelled for help a few times when my number of blown tires exceeded my number of carried spares.

The thing about reading about breakdowns is that there is a selection process in place. People who break down post about it, and people who dont break down dont post as much.

My off the cuff statistical analysis says you have a better than 90% chance of no major problems on any given 2500mile trip for any randomly selected operational vehicle without a known problem before the start. I used to regularly drive auction trucks from Ft Riley KS to Tucson AZ.... a couple of years ago I flew to Chicago, picked up an M923 and drove it to Albuquerque NM. Uneventfully.

The thing is, there's always the possibility of catastrophic failure and a $1000 wrecker bill followed by shipping costs for a 20,000lb vehicle and a ticket home. But it isnt the way to bet. Not with a sample size of one.

A word on tires - every blowout I've had (except one) has been on a tire that passed visual inspection.

While my experiences aren't specific to the LMTV platform, I suspect that general reliability is close enough that it's the same game....
I bought my M1078 from GovPlanet and drove it home about 900 miles with no issues. I did spend 5 hours with 2 people going over the truck before departure. Only problem I found before departure was a missing hose clamp on the lower radiator hose. I drove slow and stopped very frequently to check for leaks and hot parts. I did have a chase car and a lot of tools.
I know another member here who drove his home about 2,000 miles and had 2 issues he was able to fix quickly.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To each his own but your in socal I would go to the long beach docks and wait for the truck you get from govplanet from hawii where it seems the trucks always look in better than normal condition and always sale alot cheaper the sea freight charge couldnt be that much.

Third From Texas

I got my M1079 from auction. Flew out and drove it home 1000 miles. Took as many tools as I could shove into the 50 lbs limit on a single bag. Temp tag and insured, first stop was NAPA and I ran thru my checklist. Had already had a spare belt and some hoses ordered and on will call at the store. Coolant, oil, cheep grease gun and a case of grease, etc, etc. Made it home with no issue. But I know of horror stories where things didn't go so well.

I recently used it on a 900 mile recovery. Had a u-joint start to go and pulled over instantly. We had the truck loaded with tools this time, but no u-joint. Had to have a runner fetch one from 150 miles away and get it out to us. Really wish I had splurged on the Tiger Tool, but as messed up as the cup was on one end I'm not sure it would have cracked it open. Anyway, 28 hours later we were back on the road after lots of trips into the shelter to warm up (thank god I had gotten the generator mounted and hooked up the night before) and lots of banging with sledge hammers, chisels, and pry bars.

Bring warm clothing, and pick up gloves (work and rubber), hand cleaner, toilet paper, a plastic tarp, drinking water, spare fuses (they can replace the breakers) and relays, flashlights, grease and gun, hose patch tape, spare hose clamps, coolant, oil, WD40, box cutter, any tools you can think of, etc, etc.

A trip can go any way, good or bad.

20191210_191228.jpg

Reworked LMTV

I got my M1079 from auction. Flew out and drove it home 1000 miles. Took as many tools as I could shove into the 50 lbs limit on a single bag. Temp tag and insured, first stop was NAPA and I ran thru my checklist. Had already had a spare belt and some hoses ordered and on will call at the store. Coolant, oil, cheep grease gun and a case of grease, etc, etc. Made it home with no issue. But I know of horror stories where things didn't go so well.

I recently used it on a 900 mile recovery. Had a u-joint start to go and pulled over instantly. We had the truck loaded with tools this time, but no u-joint. Had to have a runner fetch one from 150 miles away and get it out to us. Really wish I had splurged on the Tiger Tool, but as messed up as the cup was on one end I'm not sure it would have cracked it open. Anyway, 28 hours later we were back on the road after lots of trips into the shelter to warm up (thank god I had gotten the generator mounted and hooked up the night before) and lots of banging with sledge hammers, chisels, and pry bars.

Bring warm clothing, and pick up gloves (work and rubber), hand cleaner, toilet paper, a plastic tarp, drinking water, spare fuses (they can replace the breakers) and relays, flashlights, grease and gun, hose patch tape, spare hose clamps, coolant, oil, WD40, box cutter, any tools you can think of, etc, etc.

A trip can go any way, good or bad.

View attachment 785437
This picture speaks volumes....

Third From Texas

$199 from Rome Truck Parts in Georgia. Buy it now or buy it later, but it will fail in time and it is a total PITA.
Meh

Unless you are playing army with a 100% "must be OEM-only" truck, I say go to a junkyard or get one off Amazon.

Only the government would pay $200 for a silly $40 switch.

There is nothing magical about the one on our trucks. It's a stick with switches all mounted on a switch. It is literally nothing but an upgraded version of the most primitive...

:)

51POdCcjD5L._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Third From Texas

If mine ever fails, I'm yanking the entire steering column and retrofitting a nice one from a junkyard with "real" tilt and lots of controls on the wheel !

Not *that* I would pay $200 for.

LOL

Reworked LMTV

LOL obviously someone who know very little about these issues. The switch control wipers, washer, horn, headlights, flash to pass, and turn signals. Yeah, it will take you hours to figure out the wiring, even with the TM. Yeah, I looked at exactly what you suggest. Not practical. If you think you can replace these with just a turn signal, you have not done your due diligence. Good luck with that.

Last edited:

Third From Texas

Well, I've also owned two trucks now w/o breaking my turn signal. ;p

But yes, I absolutely could wire a junkyard switch to the dimmer, wiper controls, and turn signals (all there is to it).

I could also take it a step further and hook up cruise control onto a proper stalk OR onto the wheel controls (C7 here and I know what's involved including the trip to CAT).

AND I could put the horn button where it belongs (old-school center of the wheel, I know a trick I've used on all the off-road cars that I've built).

I'm serious about changing the steering column as well. That really wouldn't be all that difficult of a mod.

19Detail

I would suggest giving yourself way more time than you think you will need to get it back. I put myself under a time crunch and it adds a lot of stress to the trip. Make it an adventure. Put time into getting it ready up front and then head out. You don't get too many chances to see the US, especially at 45 miles per hour...

Third From Texas has a good list of what you might need. Someone mentioned an IR thermometer and that is worth its weight in gold. I also bought a bike lock so I could at least chain the steering wheel if I had to leave it.

Finally, I have a pretty good check list of what to look at before and during the trip. Green Mountain Boys gave it to me. He is one of my best friends, but he is a horrible influence and an enabler. Let me know if you want it and I can send it to you.

Reworked LMTV

Well, I've also owned two trucks now w/o breaking my turn signal. ;p

But yes, I absolutely could wire a junkyard switch to the dimmer, wiper controls, and turn signals (all there is to it).

I could also take it a step further and hook up cruise control onto a proper stalk OR onto the wheel controls (C7 here and I know what's involved including the trip to CAT).

AND I could put the horn button where it belongs (old-school center of the wheel, I know a trick I've used on all the off-road cars that I've built).

I'm serious about changing the steering column as well. That really wouldn't be all that difficult of a mod.

The turn signal stalk does not break. The internal components fail and short.

My time is money. $200 for a component known to fail and leave you stranded with no lights on the highway in 11 lanes of traffic. No brainer....
By the way, don't forget the blackout circuits, dual voltages, backfeed potential (better get some pretty diodes)

Reworked LMTV

Not worth arguing. These are plastic and old. As in 20+ years in many cases. You must have lots of time. Spend your hours redoing it. I don't have the time. I will spend the $$ and in 15 minutes I'm back in action for another 20 years.

Third From Texas

So the "surplus" stock just rolled off the manufacturer's assembly line? And has been stored in climate controlled storage since?

Hmmmm

But you're correct, it certainly isn't worth arguing...

Reworked LMTV

So the "surplus" stock just rolled off the manufacturer's assembly line? And has been stored in climate controlled storage since?

Hmmmm

But you're correct, it certainly isn't worth arguing...
No the date code indicate it was made last year. This is NOT surplus. This switch is used in other vehicles.

Third From Texas

I'd be very interested to know if any of them are civilian vehicles.

Because then it's a $40 switch again and I *would* be happy to know that if it were to ever fail it could be ordered.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks