• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

use of prime/lift pump. 8.3 motor

ericp351

Hi all. start.Basic question. My A2 needs a good amount of cranking after sitting and about 3 clicks on the hand throttle to start. Runs fine after start. Kill solenoid sometimes sluggish, but bump with thumb cures it. No obvious bad fuel lines or fittings. Frame fuel filter new and was careful with its o rings.
Should I use the little prime pump routinely, or just when I open the fuel system? My gut feel is that I am missing something basic. #2 fuel is more or less fresh and clean. Thanks! Eric

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
8.3s are EASY starting engines, if it takes more than about 3 rotations in mild temperatures you have a problem, most likely the fuel system is sucking air. Save yourself a headache, add to vehicle value and make your maintenance cheaper by grabbing a Ken spencer fuel filter kit. It’s all bolt on and plug/play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ericp351

Followup question. Should the "prime pump" take a rubber cover over the plastic thumb button? May invest in different fuel filter after I put some miles on my new element.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The prime button should have a rubber cover over it. Missing cover is a possible indicator of an old pump.

Using the prime button should be a fairly rare event, after changing a filter or cracking the lines or something similar. Priming should not be routinely needed.

I suspect your lift pump is losing prime and/or sucking air.

With all the surface area of the on frame filter, most of us won't really benefit from a spin on conversion. It probably won't ever fill up in our lifetime. That said, spin ons are nice....

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
The prime button should have a rubber cover over it. Missing cover is a possible indicator of an old pump.

Using the prime button should be a fairly rare event, after changing a filter or cracking the lines or something similar. Priming should not be routinely needed.

I suspect your lift pump is losing prime and/or sucking air.

With all the surface area of the on frame filter, most of us won't really benefit from a spin on conversion. It probably won't ever fill up in our lifetime. That said, spin ons are nice....
Negative. The problem isn’t really the big filter, the problem is every. Single. Truck. I’ve ever worked on has at some point had issues with the fuel lines sucking air between the tank and lift pump then people send them down the rabbit hole incorrectly diagnosing and spending money on repairs that all would have been negated. Honestly, buying an 8.3 equipped truck the first thing within a week it would get a spin on kit because it replaces every line from the tank to the pump. In many cases that cheap little kit can save you $5000 in a tow home, believe my I fought my old trucks demons with sucking air and I was ready to torch it

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Negative. The problem isn’t really the big filter, the problem is every. Single. Truck. I’ve ever worked on has at some point had issues with the fuel lines sucking air between the tank and lift pump then people send them down the rabbit hole incorrectly diagnosing and spending money on repairs that all would have been negated. Honestly, buying an 8.3 equipped truck the first thing within a week it would get a spin on kit because it replaces every line from the tank to the pump. In many cases that cheap little kit can save you $5000 in a tow home, believe my I fought my old trucks demons with sucking air and I was ready to torch it

Absolutely agree.

The first thing to do if having fuel issues is replace every soft line between the tank and the engine. The fittings are also suspect, as is the lift pump itself. Also the pick up straw in the tank.

It can be maddening and frustrating beyond words. I went through this recently with an M936A2. Even though the lift pump tested good, I replaced it. Replacement of the lift pump fixed it. So, if you get to the point you're throwing parts at it in an attempt to fix, lines and lift pump are the place to start.

If the spin on conversion is a quick and easy way to get new lines, so much the better.

ericp351

Thanks guys. I'll go back thru the little lift pump and lines. No external leaks, but a little air plus time equals a "battery test" I guess. Like to improve it before needed to pull out neighbors in winter storms.

74M35A2

Usually when the soft lines leak air they don't show anything externally. It will look like a perfectly normal hose. Even when pressure tested only some of them will bleed fuel, some will not. Cheap enough to just replace and be done with it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks