• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The lack of “don’t buy an FMTV” posts led to this...

Mattwart

Hey guys,

I have been researching and dreaming on this forum for months, and ended up getting an M1086 a couple weeks ago. My main goal is to have a snow plow truck that is stuck less, and doesn’t need the front end rebuilt every summer like the last 3/4 ton and 1 tons that have been getting torn up around here. My secondary goal was to have six wheel drive, because ...America!
I found this 40 miles away, and couldn’t just let it sit there all alone.
New tires, batteries and seats helped, but being able to test drive it and then drive it home really gave me confidence to get this one.
The seller wanted the hoist off of the back of it, and I didn’t really need it.
We shortened the frame 5 feet (I expect to catch flack for this, but I could really use the turning radius and this thing was LONG). The transmission side driveline was removed, and I had 6 States shorten my second driveline (I have cut and welded my own on a Jeep, but decided to leave this one to the pros). I found a 4x4 bed that was nearby, and good enough for now. A Pioneer stereo mostly for the back up camera was installed, along with much needed interior lights. I also added a little snow camo.
The next step will be getting my snow plow mounted, building tire chains, and getting some serious weight in the back before the storms really start to stack up here (we are in Idaho, close to Sun Valley, but a world away...)
The helpfulness and knowledge in this community is truly impressive, and I am excited to really dive into this truck!

Thanks guys, we will chat soon!
Matt

Attachments

Last edited:

Mattwart

Agreed, a 1083 would have saved a full day + of cutting, welding, and shortening air lines and a driveline! There were some that just went through the auction, but they were in Texas and Georgia (I’m in Idaho, so shipping wasn’t exactly cheap) and they were listed as not running. With this one being close, decently priced, and to drive it home same day was the deciding factor. Timing was/is a little tight for getting this setup for winter.

These drive so much better than I expected! I should be able to see how she does in the snow starting this Tuesday.

Mr_Ed

Hey guys,

I have been researching and dreaming on this forum for months, and ended up getting an M1086 a couple weeks ago. My main goal is to have a snow plow truck that is stuck less, and doesn’t need the front end rebuilt every summer like the last 3/4 ton and 1 tons that have been getting torn up around here. My secondary goal was to have six wheel drive, because ...America!
I found this 40 miles away, and couldn’t just let it sit there all alone.
New tires, batteries and seats helped, but being able to test drive it and then drive it home really gave me confidence to get this one.
The seller wanted the hoist off of the back of it, and I didn’t really need it.
We shortened the frame 5 feet (I expect to catch flack for this, but I could really use the turning radius and this thing was LONG). The transmission side driveline was removed, and I had 6 States shorten my second driveline (I have cut and welded my own on a Jeep, but decided to leave this one to the pros). I found a 4x4 bed that was nearby, and good enough for now. A Pioneer stereo mostly for the back up camera was installed, along with much needed interior lights. I also added a little snow camo.
The next step will be getting my snow plow mounted, building tire chains, and getting some serious weight in the back before the storms really start to stack up here (we are in Idaho, close to Sun Valley, but a world away...)
The helpfulness and knowledge in this community is truly impressive, and I am excited to really dive into this truck!

Thanks guys, we will chat soon!
Matt
OMG. You just cut up my dream truck lol. Just what I want is an M1086. Looks good though. Hope it worked out for the snow.

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are about a half dozen guys here who had to extend their frames for RV builds who are crying right now...
You're not kidding. I would have swapped my standard length 1088 in a heartbeat for that longer frame... but I understand you play the card you're dealt.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks