• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steel rear airlift bumper

TOM R

Just mounted a steel rear airlift bumper on my m998.

do i need the reinforcement plate and inner frame angled brackets or are those for the aluminum version?

I have seen some tm breakdowns but no idea if its an aluminum or steel bumper in the diagram

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It there an aluminum airlift bumper? Never heard of that.
Neither had I, but I'm not going to claim I know everything about these rigs.

Unless you are planning on actually airlifting the HMMWV, or towing max weight trailers across rough terrain, you can probably get away without the reinforcement.
On the other hand, they made the brackets and reinforcement for a reason.

Lionel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are aluminum air lift bumpers. Just helped someone load up a bunch of them at the Letterkenny GP yard.

papakb

Lionel, could you do some research and post the numbers for the aluminum kits here? I've never heard of them before in all the years I've played with these things.

Lionel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lionel, could you do some research and post the numbers for the aluminum kits here? I've never heard of them before in all the years I've played with these things.
text my buddy that got them. He's away for the holiday but will see if they are marked when he gets home. He thinks the run may have been so limited there may not be a number.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
text my buddy that got them. He's away for the holiday but will see if they are marked when he gets home. He thinks the run may have been so limited there may not be a number.
I might be interested in 1 or 2.
I have the 2 body mount brackets of aluminum.

Crapgame

1226802_6002_10079_0001.jpg
I was told the Aluminum Airlift Bumpers were for the Avenger ADA Trucks on M1097 chassis, they needed to be aluminum to meet weight restrictions or something like that. I'm pretty sure my 1994 M1097A1 truck has the aluminum airlift bumper on it, truck is still waiting on EUC. The truck was in controlled storage, I believe one of the 1300 Avenger trucks they built then put into storage during the GWOT due to manpower Big Army upgraded about 300 trucks a few years ago then released the rest for surplus. My truck has the instrument cluster, gear shift box assy and a few other small parts removed, there are still parts sealed with the aluminumized paper.

Another member told me the two square tubing brackets are for a bumper mounted work vise and the fold down step is affiliated with one of the Comm Shelters, the only experience I have with Comm Shelters was when I was assigned to a Military Intelligence Bn, was going to be 98G Russian Linguist, and the unit had AN/TRQ-37 Turkey 37 is what I heard them called, in a comm shelter on back of a brand new less than 50 miles M1008 Chevy CUCV. This would have been 1987-88 or so, the 550th MI Bn stationed at Sievers-Sandberg US Army Reserve Center on Route 130 in Gloucester County, north of the Dupont Plant the the NJ side of the Delaware Memorial Bridge.

I believe the Aluminum Airlift Bumper is NSN:
2540-01-196-4920, Part

Last edited:

papakb

- &A1 A2
NSN: 2540014112733 PN: 12446973
NSN: 2540011964920 PN: 5578355
NSN: 2540011964920 PN: 12338218
NSN: 2540011964920 PN: 12469405

bumper NSNs

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks