• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Joining the stable. M1078

88atlas07

After looking at M1078's for over a year, I finally took the plunge and got a winning bid at the auction on a '98 M1078 with 15,800 miles. 13 weeks later I get the email that the EUC has been approved, and to make arrangements for pick up. Another 2 weeks go by with a logistics company that kept giving me the run around until I got fed up and made the 180 mile drive to Ft. Hood to pick it up myself. I knew it was a runner but I wasn't sure it would make the trip back home. Loaded with tools, a jump box and 5 gal of diesel, we pull up to the truck. To my amazement it fired right up without skipping a beat. The ride home was uneventful, until about the last 40 miles when the truck started to get warm ~220F. Turns out the temperature switch for the fan is bad, but as it was cold and rainy it made the trip fine.

So far just changed the oil, replaced the broken tail lights with LED's, and a few other odds and ends. It needs 1 tire and probably a wheel bearing on the front pass side, temperature switch, and air/hyd unit needs a rebuild, as well as the starter needs a new solenoid as its currently hit or miss whether it'll engage.. Besides that pretty solid.

Future plans are high speed gears, driveshaft rebuild including re-balance, and a 290hp re-rate with the bigger turbo from the 5-ton counterpart.

Attachments

Last edited:

FloridaAKM

I see that murphy was busy somewhere else when you went to recover your truck. Self recovery @ that, great job & kudos for getting her home with no issues requiring a tow.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks