• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wiring harness question

Bbcjake95

Long time since I've been on here, but finally have some time to start getting my m1009 on the road. I need to do a major rewire, and am going to be getting harnesses from hillbilly wizard. I've tried searching and haven't found a definite answer, but want to know if the blackout light switch has its own harness or is integrated into the cab harness. I have no reference because my truck had a botched 12v conversion, and other botched wiring work, including removal of blackout switch. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

cucvmule

collector of stuff
What is your long term goal for the truck? Are you trying to get back to Military issue or for your acceptable use?

I ask because the parts are still available but it will not be to much longer that some things will not be available unless you want to pay a premium price, and some parts already are.

I would start and make a list of potential problems and see if economically truck is worth restoring, if that is your goal, and start buying parts that you need while still available. Buying the front harnesses if cut up is a great start to recover the 1009.

In the CUCV sticky's there is full color wiring diagrams to help with tracing down the changes that have been done. And there you can trace the wires to see for yourself what has been done. It is hard to sometimes explain and give an accounting what has been done and someone else helping, although pictures really help.

There are some simple modifications that can be done and then returned to original with out damaging the integrity of the system. Hopefully that may be the case with the blackout system. Good Luck

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Let me add that buying a truck for parts is another maybe cheaper alternative than buying parts singly. Just depends on your expectations.

Bbcjake95

I have tried both these routes, and it's just not gonna work out. Parts trucks are hard to come by around here, and tracing didn't work out well for me, my patience isn't at that level lol. My end goal is not Restoration, but I'd like to maintain some unique systems. Such as the blackout lights and returning to dual Alts eventually would be nice. I intend to go back to a non tilt column, and original unmolested wiring harnesses for now. I will keep it 12v, simply because I already have the parts, and parts will be easier to come by.

richingalveston

where in texas are you?
if you plan to keep it 12 volt then just buy the interior harness, your engine harness will have to be modified again to go back to 12 volt.
you should not need the exterior lighting harness, these can be repaired easily

There are 4 wiring harness sections, engine, lights-front, lights rear, and interior.

dependable

To answer the original question, the blackout switches are integrated into cab harness.

If you are lucky, the person who modified just tucked the switches under the dash, have seen that a couple of times.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks