• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I've been vampired!

galaxie428

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I noticed yesterday that I had ATF dripping from behind my passenger front tire. After taking the ATF soaked filter out and cleaning out the canister, I came inside and started reading through threads on the vampire issue. Lot's of great info! Back out today to check the transfer case, about an extra qt came out. Checked a couple of geared hubs and yep, ATF in there too. Looks like I have some work to do.

Now to my question, is the bypass a sufficient enough fix or is that just the temp fix to get you home until you get the updated part inside the t-case?

To gently blow out the air lines, do they need to be disconnected from the hubs, diff and so on? I already have to drain them anyway.

I need to be able to move the Humvee around a little in and out of the barn to work on it. If I add more ATF to fill up the trans, it should be ok to move around as needed until I get a chance to start working through everything right?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Jason

BLK HMMWV

I drove mine with the loop bypassed for 8 plus years.
It all depends on how much you drive it and for how long.

If it's low on fluid now I'd crawl under it and bypass it before adding any fluid.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bypass and forget about it....don’t forget to open your fill plug on the Tcase to drain the excess ATF, and don’t forget to fill the transmission back up.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bypass and forget about it....don’t forget to open your fill plug on the Tcase to drain the excess ATF, and don’t forget to fill the transmission back up.
I have a question (obviously).

I understand why we don't want ATF in the hubs, diffs, and air cleaner.

I don't quite understand why a moderately overfilled t-case is a bad thing. It states it'll overheat. What is the mechanism?

In another unrelated application, deliberately overfilling a G56 manual transmission is a best-practice. The procedure is to remove the shift tower and add an additional quart above the factory fill point. I would conjecture that an overfill of the hmmwv tcase would be similarly desirable. Apparently my conjecture is in error. But why/how?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks