• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Soliticing opinions from those with a turbo and a NV4500 or 4L80e

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
So I'm at a point where I've considered buying a new truck. But I just don't want to get into another payment. I wish my 1008 was an extended cab to haul my kids around. But it'll do I guess. After last Friday's towing event, I've decided it needs some upgrades. Currently it has a 6.2 with a 6.5 turbo setup on it. The 37's certainly bog it down a bit. But still the 60mph cruising speed keeps it off the interstate. I've got a few paths I want to take with it. One being cosmetic, replacing the dash pad and having the seat recovered, as well as having the body repaired in a few places and painted back 383. The more pressing matter for me though is getting it's ability to cruise up and increase it's towing ability. I'm thinking about a few different paths to take. If you have any of the following, please let me know how your experience has been with them long term and their abilities to tow.

Option 1:
Swap the TH400 for a 4l80e and a stand alone controller. This would be the cheapest route I think. I'd gain overdrive and help with cruising speed. Not much outside that. (Although I'm thinking about a arduino based controller and adding a few features like paddle shifting, tow/haul, exc.)

Option 2:
Swap the TH400 for a NV4500. This will be more expensive and less of a "bolt in" as the 4l80e would be. I'd have the ability to keep the engine RPM more constant during towing, and of course the overdrive. This option also leads to the possibility of option 3 at a later date.

Option 3:
Sell off my 4BT and find a 6BT and a NV4500 or rebuild the 47RE I have laying around. This certainly would be the most expensive option and certainly the most complex. But I'd imagine I'd be happy with a 12v and a P7100 pump. But I don't want to be without a pickup truck for how long that would take and my bank account wouldn't be happy either.

I guess I need feedback from those of you with turbo'd 6.2's and a 4L80e or NV4500. How do you feel about the outcome of your setups. I understand that the 6.2 will never be a 5.9.

richingalveston

i can only say that the 4l80e with the 6.2 will dissapoint you. the overdrive is worthless unless on flat ground at sea level. There is not enough power to keep it in overdrive when taking an overpass. mine did not have a turbo but I don't think it would make that much difference. when towing I don't think you will hit the overdrive very often, only on down hills.

You will be disappointed.

The us shift controller is great, you can paddle shift with this controller and the wiring harness is the most simplified of all of them. It also has the best price for the complete unit (controller and wiring harness)

The 5.9 will probably rattle the truck apart, yes you would be happy with the power but the noise and vibration will kill you and the truck.

If it were me I would find a 6.5 and rebuild it with the 4l80e. It will do what you want, it will not be any louder than your current 6.2, you can build it and have everything done then do the engine swap in a weekend so your truck will not be down for long. All your current accessories will bolt to the 6.5 which saves a lot of money. You can probably get a good 6.5 for what you can sell the 4bt for. I would do a complete rebuild on any 6.5 I purchased used. I would not buy from the companies that rebuild. It may take a little time to find the motor but you can rebuild it in a few weeks and have it in the truck in two days.

I have bad knees so I cant have a standard shift truck I also do not like standards when off road. Working a clutch off road is not any fun.

I have not been able to drive my 6.5 much but for the road time I have been able to get, I love it. It will be back on the road in a week or two, just waiting on new brake lines.

My 2 cents.
Rich

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The turbo is night and day difference on the 6.2 to be honest. I went from 6.2NA to 6.2NA with 37's and it was a dog. The turbo brought it back to what it was and a little more. I know I wouldn't be using OD for towing. But I was more interested in that for cruising unloaded. I *think* it'd do well with the OD and the turbo 6.2. I mean I run 60-65 now in it, but I'm turning 2800+.

The 6.5 and turbo'd 6.2 aren't that far apart in power. I probably could make up for it with more fuel. I just don't see much gain in swapping a good running 6.2 for a 6.5. I do see value in swapping the 6.2 (or even a 6.5) for a 5.9. But I'm kinda jaded on that since I miss my 5.9 lol.

richingalveston

I have a 5.9 in my motor home and love it, it pushes the 40 ft long brick down the road with no problem, I just think It is to much for a cucv. my 5.9 has a banks kit on it and hits around 290 HP.

if you could get it balanced in some way so they did not vibrate so bad, it would be ok but they are very loud also and that I do not like.

The power is awesome and it would definitely be a different truck.

The 4bt's are great and can make a lot of power but same problem, loud and vibrate really bad.

I would bet that for the cost of the 5.9 swap, you could probably buy a used dodge with the engine already in the truck with 5 speed for the same money and then have the cucv as a spare truck.

not trying to talk you out of anything. I encourage people to build what they want.
Rich

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The 4BT certainly has vibration issues. But the 6BT is "smooth" compared to it.

I don't need another vehicle. Honestly I need less vehicles. I'd hate to pay insurance on another one to sit. I already have 8 vehicles insured.

I'm just torn on the direction to take. I'll do the 4l80e because it's affordable. But the NV4500 is tempting because the 5.9 could be swapped afterwards. But then again, I'm not sure I want to row the gears in it. Ugh. Indecisive on this one.

KamikazeKunze

Between my thread and this one, it has convinced me to embrace my slow gene. Plod along and enjoy the scenery. Or throw retarded money out the window on a proper adventure rig.
i love my ten ten, but my ‘12 Ram crew cab 6.7L Cummins has polluted me, I mean spoiled....lol

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks