• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Allison 545 into M35A2 mounting question

WRoll

I’m looking at either swapping an Allison 545 into a A2 truck frame, as they are so plentiful and cheap, or buying a A3. My question is, does the A3 use special mounts for the Allison tranny, or will they swap directly into an A2? I’m using a different engine so that part doesn’t concern me.

rustystud

I’m looking at either swapping an Allison 545 into a A2 truck frame, as they are so plentiful and cheap, or buying a A3. My question is, does the A3 use special mounts for the Allison tranny, or will they swap directly into an A2? I’m using a different engine so that part doesn’t concern me.
The Allison AT540 doesn't have provisions for mounting at the sides. Basically think of a TH400 on steroids. It only mounts on the rear. So your using the engine mounts to hold it in the frame. Almost all heavy duty diesel engines have provisions on the bellhousing for side mounting to the frame.

HDN

Keep in mind that the top speed is going to be reduced. Just in case you haven't thought about that.
That is true since the 545 is geared lower. But depending on the motor you're mating it to, it might not matter. I only drive the truck 45 mph max so top speed isn't much of a concern for me anyway.

What motor are you using?

WRoll

I have a 5.9 Cummins and a remanned 545 to use on this project. I’ve not been around a deuce in years, and that’s why I wasn’t for sure on how the tranny mounted in them.

So basically, with the appropriate bellhousing, the 545 should swap into an A2 without much modification?

rustystud

That is true since the 545 is geared lower. But depending on the motor you're mating it to, it might not matter. I only drive the truck 45 mph max so top speed isn't much of a concern for me anyway.

What motor are you using?
The AT540 is not geared lower, it just doesn't have an overdrive gear. Fourth gear is still 1:1 , and first through third has very comparable ratios to the Spicer 3052/3053 . Plus you have the multiplication factor of the "Torque Converter" which is usually 3:1 .
I do know what you where referring to though. It's just that when you say it is geared lower that usually means all the gears are lower. For example a mining truck transmission will have a first gear of 10:1 or even lower, since it needs that much extra torque to get the truck moving out of the mine loaded. It's top speed would then be around 15 to 20 MPH.
Think Gold mining in Alaska.

HanksDeuce

Here are a few shots of the donor 5.9 Cummins and AT545 and how they went into my M35A2 bobber.

Tons more pics and information can be found on either of the links below (i.e. my build thread or personal deuce website).

Attachments

rustystud

Here are a few shots of the donor 5.9 Cummins and AT545 and how they went into my M35A2 bobber.

Tons more pics and information can be found on either of the links below (i.e. my build thread or personal deuce website).
How has your truck been running since you put in the Cummins ? Any problems or weird little ticks that needed to be fixed ?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks